Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion CPU utilization Reply To: CPU utilization

Derek Read

Reply to: CPU utilization

Are you asking if XMetaL Author has a feature that will allow you to throttle back CPU usage? If so, the answer is no.

However, Windows itself allows you to set priorities for any particular process (this can be done in the Task Manager, but there may be other ways to tell Windows to do this). Perhaps you could try that? It isn't something most people (if anyone) would need to do but your setup seems a bit atypical from other postings I have read so perhaps that is an option. I'm not sure how to automate this but Microsoft might have some documentation on the subject or there may be information on one of their community sites detailing how to do that. A quick search for “xp cpu limit usage” turns up a lot of hits for me, and adding your specific version of Windows would probably give you some specific information on the subject. Note that if you tell Windows to run the application slower (by setting a lower priority) it will take longer to do things obviously.

Another option would be to try run the software on a multiple core system (dual core chips are quite standard at the moment). In this case the system (hardware or Windows) may attempt to limit CPU usage to 100% of any particular core. I have not researched this in depth (this is really a question for Microsoft or Intel or AMD support) but on my particular systems a program never exceeds 100% usage of a core, and even when that core is pegged at 100% Windows continues to chug along just fine and other applications are allocated cycles in the other core (or so it seems). Note that if you check the Task Manager on Windows XP in this situation it may show any particular process pegged at 50% of total CPU cycles at most, which I assume translates to 100% usage of one core on a dual core machine. In Task Manager you can also set the “Affinity”, which limits which core a particular process is allowed to run on.

See screen captures for Task Manager “Priority” and “Affinity”.

Products
Downloads
Support