Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Generate PDF with Symbol, Courier New and Wingding Reply To: Generate PDF with Symbol, Courier New and Wingding

Derek Read

Reply to: Generate PDF with Symbol, Courier New and Wingding

Wingdings is not a Unicode font and so it would basically go against what I have written in this article and what I feel is the best way to author XML. It is best to use the proper character for a given character and then locate a font containing a glyph for that character and use it. This also assumes your encoding of choice is UTF-8 (which is suggested in the XML Recommendation, and also the default encoding that XMetaL uses unless you specific another supported encoding).

Entering the “wrong” character into a document (such as “z”) and then using a non-Unicode font that maps that character is just not a good idea, that is the old way of doing things that really just doesn't work well in the XML + Unicode universe. The only time I would not do this is when Unicode has not defined a character that you need. This is possible, but should be exceedingly rare. In that extreme case you might also have good reason to inserting an image instead, though that also has its drawbacks (which is best depends on various other factors).

First let's clarify which glyph you wish to represent. You say the “option” key. Do you mean the one described on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key

That is defined in Unicode as U+2325 with the description “OPTION KEY” and (if your browser is capable of rendering it) is this character: ⌥
The font “Arial Unicode MS” has a glyph for this character so we could simply embed that font to have it appear in your PDF (provided you have that font on your system). Note that Unicode also defines U+2318 with the description “PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN”, which is what Apple uses as their “Command” key. If your browser can render it that character is: ⌘. The font “Arial Unicode MS” has a glyph for this character as well.

Products
Downloads
Support