Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion XMetaL annoyance: validation of mulitple instances of and IDREF to a missing ID Reply To: XMetaL annoyance: validation of mulitple instances of and IDREF to a missing ID

dcramer

Reply to: XMetaL annoyance: validation of mulitple instances of and IDREF to a missing ID

Ok, let me clarify: What I think XMetaL should do is list all the bad IDREFs in the validation report.

I'm guessing that the current behavior is based on the assumption that if there are multiple bad IDREFs to the same ID, the solution is to add an ID, so there's really just one problem. But in fact, you often get these because you've removed a target permanently and now need to go find all the places that refer to it and remove the reference. In XMetaL you validate, click to navigate, fix, revalidate, click to navigate, fix, and so on. What I end up doing is opening the document in emacs, validating, fixing all the IDREFs, then going back to XMetaL.

Validate on save doesn't really fix this but does at least remind you that you still have more bad IDREFs. However, I have validate on save turned off because I've had problems with XMetaL crashing on validate before and so don't want a user to hit save, only to have it crash and lose what they were trying to save.

David

Products
Downloads
Support