Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Using xml:lang Values to Control Spell Checking Reply To: Using xml:lang Values to Control Spell Checking

Derek Read

Reply to: Using xml:lang Values to Control Spell Checking

@rishida

Thanks for the great feedback.

Because our software is very often only one piece of a larger installation (which often includes CMS systems, work flow management systems, translation memory and management systems, post processing systems, and systems that perform transformations to various file formats, and perhaps other things) the goal here was to show how to enable the XMetaL spell checker to take advantage of xml:lang values to support spell checking.

I'll leave education in usage of xml:lang up to the experts, and there is no shortage of information on this topic, including [url=http://rishida.net/]your posts here[/url], the W3C XML Recommendation and the specs it links to, and many books on XML including my favourite “Charles Goldfarb's XML Handbook” (Charles Goldfarb and Paul Prescod 4th Edition: ISBN 0-13-065198-2; 5th Edition: 0-13-049765-7).

Regarding specific points…

1. The main point here (which you understood) was that, for any given client using XMetaL, various factors come into play that may make it difficult to stick with the latest specs (and ultimately, the XML source is often for internal use only with files to be consumed externally being transformations based on this internal format). I agree though — whenever possible it makes sense to follow current specs.

2/3. I'll have a look at these suggestions and make some changes.

4. 'German National' is a special case. The first time German National is used you are prompted to select from one of three options (all XMetaL versions 4.x up to and including 6.0):

• New spelling (Fluss)
  • Old spelling (Fluß)
  • Allow both

Swiss German allows the new spelling method only.

5. This is a good point as well. Approaching it strictly from an xml:lang usage point of view there really should be a difference (when used correctly), but (as you say) from the point of view of our spell checker there isn't any difference. The net result for the spell checker will be to skip over these elements.

Products
Downloads
Support