Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion htmlhelp2 plugin bad links Reply To: htmlhelp2 plugin bad links

Derek Read

Reply to: htmlhelp2 plugin bad links

@hrahman:

I have not tested this plug-in. However, if it is compatible with the DITA OT version included with your installation of XMetaL Author Enterprise it should work. But how it works will depend on the design. Some plug-ins rely on other portions of the DITA OT (such as the XHTML transtype), some do everything on their own. I suspect this one might replace or modify the existing CHM transtype (which in turn relies on XHTML).

XMetaL Author Enterprise (all versions up to 8.0) does not include a “deliverable” for this plug-in so one might need to be created to run it from within the XMetaL Author Enterprise “Generate Output” dialog. Again, it depends how the plug-in was written. If it replaces or extends the existing CHM output then the “deliverable” for the existing CHM output might trigger it instead.

Note: XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 includes DITA OT version 1.7.

I'm not sure how busy I will be next week but I might look into getting this working. However, what I have read about it makes me question its usefulness for most people.

In most development + documentation environments I am aware of an HTML Help Workshop “alias” file is maintained by either development or documentation with the two teams coordinating on id values because the development team usually needs to maintain the same id values in their code (in the alias file these typically start with the string “IDH” as recommended by Microsoft). Maintaining an alias file should be fairly easy for most teams as existing pairs of values (example: IDH_introduction = introduction.html) are seldom changed unless your application undergoes major UI changes, and adding a new pair of values is trivial to do in any text editor. Maybe I just don't understand why someone would want to try to maintain these things in their DITA source instead — I'll have to read more about it.

Once you have an alias file it is very simple to create a context sensitive CHM file using any version of XMetaL Author Enterprise and the existing “HTML Help (CHM)” deliverable. That deliverable provides a way to specify the path to the alias file which is then automatically linked to in the generated HHP file that HTML Help Workshop uses to build the CHM.

Products
Downloads
Support