Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion Disabling some automatically generated strings in CHM output. Reply To: Disabling some automatically generated strings in CHM output.

Derek Read

Reply to: Disabling some automatically generated strings in CHM output.

For HTML-based outputs (including CHM) you could simply leave the output (HTML) alone and just modify your CSS file. To hide anything from readers you could simply use the CSS “display:none” property with the appropriate selector, like so:

someSelectorConstruct {
  display:none;
}

That seems far easier to me than mucking with XSLT. The content is still there in the output (so viewing the source file will allow you to see it), so that is the only real consideration here I think. If you really want to remove it you will need to modify XSLT, but for generated content as described here I can't see that being a real concern.

Note that the CHM viewer application hh.exe uses an embedded copy of IE to render HTML content so the CSS supported on any particular user's machine should probably take that into account. CSS display:none has been supported for a long time though, so that particular CSS property should work anywhere (I think it would be really hard to find a machine capable of opening a CHM that has a version of IE older than 5).

Products
Downloads
Support