Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion Inserting simple line-break <br> Reply To: Inserting simple line-break <br>

mag3737

Reply to: Inserting simple line-break <br>

As you have already noted, there is no such element in DITA.  I never saw the posting by some other user that you are referring to, so I don't know what they might have said. I also have no idea what you would/would not consider a “freshman hack”, since that's pretty subjective.

However, the most likely way you could achieve something like this is either to create a specialized DITA DTD that has an element called
, or to use some agreed-upon attribute on an existing element such as . I'd call the latter idea a hack; the former, probably not so much, although it adds extra complexity. In either case there will also have to be some modification of the DITA-OT in order to get it to do what you want in the HTML output, by which I mean some XSLT coding.

You are right that XSL-FO is used for PDF output, not for HTML.  However, XSLT is used in the transformation process for both types of output.

By the way, this is not really an XMetaL question.  You may reach an audience with more answers on a DITA-specific forum such as the [dita-users] Yahoo email list.

Products
Downloads
Support