Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Setting up content management Reply To: Setting up content management

Derek Read

Reply to: Setting up content management

I think we might want to make a distinction between CMS and VCS and the expectations people have for each.

At the basic level they are both used to manage files in a safe way, and to do this both usually offer some form of file locking via a check-out/in process, but beyond that people may expect to interact with them in different ways. Vendors for various products also support different functionality beyond the basics of check-out/in.

In theory “XMetaL Connector” could be used to integrate with and support any system, the differentiator being how much work needs to be done to do so. The “Repository” menu in XMetaL Author is enabled when an adapter is installed and it shows the basic functionality that can be enabled and can generally be expected to be provided for accessing any CMS system, though the creator of the adapter can choose to implement as many of the features as they like and obviously some CMS systems may not support all of them. For CMS systems that support additional functionality an adapter may extend the menu.

I can't seem to locate any definitive information on an “SCC” specification, but if it is being widely adopted I would be interested in seeing it so I could pass that information along to our development team for consideration.

Products
Downloads
Support