Reply to: XMetaL Author Essential – What’s that?February 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm
You are basically correct.
All the APIs described in the Programmer's Guide are included with XMetaL Author Essential and the product is meant to be customized for use with any DTD or Schema (except DITA for which I'd suggest people use XMetaL Author Enterprise which is specifically designed for that).
Typically people will use XMetaL Developer to create the necessary customization files for use with XMetaL Author Essential (MCR, CSS, CTM, XFT, etc) or obtain a pre-configured set of files from one of our partners or elsewhere.
All of the improvements that have been made to the core product over the years (currently the xmetal55.exe and our core DLLs) are included, including an updated UI, more APIs, new events, CSS support, various bug fixes, etc. The xmetal55.exe program included with XMetaL Author Enterprise and XMetaL Author Essential are essentially the same.
XMetaL Author Essential does not include the following (compared with XMetaL Author Enterprise):
- XMetaL Reviewer integration capability.
- XMetaL Connector for integrating with CMS systems (in theory it might be possible to build a connector to a CMS the “old fashioned way” but with a lot more effort and no guarantee it will be possible).
- DITA editing functionality (no DITA DTDs, templates, menus, DITA-specific help, reusable components, direct DITA OT integration, etc).
- DITA publishing functionality (XMetaL Author Enterprise includes a pre-configured copy of the DITA Open Toolkit and corresponding UI to make publishing to all formats supported by the DITA OT easy for authors).
- Licensed copy of RenderX XEP (XMetaL Author Enterprise includes this for generating PDF documents with or without the DITA OT).