Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion How to tell the number of pages in XMetal? Reply To: How to tell the number of pages in XMetal?

Derek Read

Reply to: How to tell the number of pages in XMetal?

Correct. I don't believe there are any tools that will give you this answer directly. If such a tool exists and it uses the DITA OT in any fashion it will need to generate output somewhere (perhaps without showing you the output) and then providing you with the final number (which is basically the same thing).

The questions I would like to know the answer to are:
1) Why?
2) If there are too many or two few pages in your output what would you want to be able to do to “fix” that?

(Given your other postings in addition to this one…) It seems there is something missing between your understanding of the primary benefits of the usage of XML that I cannot quite grasp.

I would be interested to know if other readers of this post feel the need to know how many pages will be produced in any particular print-based output before producing that output. So far this seems to be a unique request and I just can't think of a real need for it.

Products
Downloads
Support