Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion Applying custom stylesheets Reply To: Applying custom stylesheets

Derek Read

Reply to: Applying custom stylesheets

This is trickier in 5.5 due to the deployment we do to support limited users (which is on by default) as part of the Vista compatibility support. Another topic deals with that specifically here: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,237

What I did to get this working with 5.5 (absolute paths used here for clarity):

1. On my test machine I duplicated the Customization folder (as per previous instructions in this thread) so that I have the following:

C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdemoxmfoCustomization
C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdemoxmfoCustomization2

2. I then made one (and only one) further config change to force the DITA OT to be redeployed to my user profile. RX_CUSTOM_DIR does not come into play here yet. The change needed was to alter the setting in the “Advanced” tab of the “Configure Output” dialog (without selecting any deliverables) as follows:

cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version  =  1

Note that this setting should already be there, if you don't see it you are probably in the wrong place.

I increased the value by 1. If yours equals 1 already, make it 2, etc.

3. Generate output for any deliverable type (doesn't matter which). This together with the change made in step 2 redeploys the DITA OT. Answer 'yes' when you are asked if you want the redeployment to occur. This will update your deployed copy so it now also has a copy of the Customization2 folder (which is the folder you will ultimately be modding).

4. You now have two options. The first one (4a) is best as it does not hard code the path to a particular user's deployment (ie: yours) but uses another variable to locate your deployed copy of the DITA OT. That way you can use the same setting for all users.

4a) Use the following setting for RX_CUSTOM_DIR in the Advanced tab (Other output parameters) for your custom deliverable type (which should have been based on 'XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP'):
RX_CUSTOM_DIR = %DITA_OT_DIR%demoxmfoCustomization2

4b) Or you can open the log file and find out what %DITA_OT_DIR% is by looking for the string “set DITA_OT_DIR” and then finding the value it is set to. You can then add demoxmfoCustomization2 to the end of that. It might end up looking something like this:
RX_CUSTOM_DIR = "C:Documents and SettingsAPPLIC~1SoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTdemoxmfoCustomization2"

Quotes are required when a path contains spaces. If you have trouble with paths containing spaces use the Windows “short” (8.3) path format instead and remove the quotes.

Products
Downloads
Support