Home Forums XMetaL Tips and Tricks Script Example: Custom Special Characters Form (XFT) Reply To: Script Example: Custom Special Characters Form (XFT)

Derek Read

Reply to: Script Example: Custom Special Characters Form (XFT)

There is no limitation that I'm aware of.

You might be thinking that because the DITA OT only uses 'Sans', 'Serif' and 'Monospaced' that there is a limitation, but that is not really the case. However, though you can define others, I don't believe that is really what you want to do here as these 'font alias names' (the XEP term) are used in almost every XSLT file used to generate the XSL-FO consumed by RenderX XEP.

I believe the simplest solution is to specify a font for each of the above that contains glyphs for Greek characters, such as “Arial” for 'Sans', “Times New Roman” for 'Serif' and “Courier New” for 'Monospaced'. I suggest these fonts because they are installed by default on every Windows XP and Vista machine and they contain the glyphs you need for Greek (open the font using the Windows Character Map tool to see all the characters / glyphs). The other post (http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,366.0.html) should get you there. One thing to note is that the file xep.xml already contains an entire section commented out that maps a bunch of fonts installed on standard Windows machines to their font files in the C:WindowsFonts folder (so that XEP can find them). They include “Arial”, “Times New Roman” and “Courier New”, so for that part you just need to uncomment that section in that file.

The alternative, more complex solution (which should not be necessary for Greek if you specify the fonts above) is to tell RenderX XEP to vary the font used by 'char-set'. That is done partially inside the font-mappings.xml file. The font-mappings.xml file that ships with the DITA OT includes settings for the following 'char-sets': “default”, “Simplified Chinese”, “Japanese”, “Korean”, “Symbols”, “SubmenuSymbol”, and “SymbolsSuperscript”. The actual character sets that these names represent are defined in the file demofocfgfoi18nen_US.xml (or the language file currently being used if xml:lang is not en_US and you have configured the DITA OT and your files to use xml:lang). So, if you need to further tweak this that is where the actual character sets are configured (ie: which sets of characters belong to “default”, “Simplified Chinese”, “Japanese”, etc).

Products
Downloads
Support