Home Forums XMetaL Tips and Tricks Workaround: CALS Table Editing Behaviour (Columns Do Not Autosize as with HTML) Reply To: Workaround: CALS Table Editing Behaviour (Columns Do Not Autosize as with HTML)

dcramer

Reply to: Workaround: CALS Table Editing Behaviour (Columns Do Not Autosize as with HTML)

My solution to this problem is to use a processing instruction (the space after sbr is important). Then for pdf output, I have a template in my xsls that turns the sbr PI to a zero width space:

Now, instead of this:

/some/really/long/path/that/doesnot/fit/in/a/cell

I do:

/some/really/long/path/that/doesnot/fit/in/a/cell

In XMetaL, it breaks where the s are because of the space. In the pdf output, it also breaks there because of the zero-width space added by my template. In html, the s are discarded because the table can become as wide as it needs to be and the user will have a horizontal scroll bar. It is NOT desirable to put zero-width spaces in html too because users tend to cut and paste from html output and the invisible characters in code samples would cause them grief.

This is useful in tables, where the content might not fit and sometimes even outside of tables when some property name or path is really long and produces an ugly break in a normal para.

David

Products
Downloads
Support