Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Changing installs  (Read 4816 times)
kwag_myers

« on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »

I'm in the process of changing things over from one laptop to another and I'm wondering if there is a recommended procedure for this.

My biggest concern is when I uninstall XMetaL from the old machine I want to be sure I don't delete something that I might need in the coming days. I back up all my files daily via version control, and I've been using the demo version on my new machine. I haven't had to resource any files in the past few days, so things seem to be at a point for me to take the leap.

Also, if I uninstall from the old machine and enter the product code in the new, it still only counts as one install, right?

XMetaL 6 Author in Windows 7 Home Premium
Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »

The files you might need are:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared
- This is a location for the DITA Open Toolkit. If you have customized how output looks, you might have made changes to this folder.

C:\Program Files\XMetaL x.x
- Someone might have added or edited files in this folder to customize XMetaL

C:\Program Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL\Writing Tools\10.0
- Spellchecker settings

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SoftQuad
- Most user preferences, and another copy of the DITA Open Toolkit, are here.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\XMetaL
- If  you have made changes to sample files, they'll be here.

If you uninstall from the old machine and enter the product code in the new, then yes it still only counts as one install for licensing purposes.

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »

The ..\Writing Tools\10.0\ folder should generally contain stock files that we install (DLLs and fixed word list files for spelling and thesaurus features for the 30 or so supported languages). It is possible that you might have added new dictionaries (word lists) here, but that would be a pretty custom installation.

More likely you may have added words to the "User Word Lists" using the standard Spell Checker dialog's Add button. In this case those files will typically be located here:

<My Documents>\Corel User Files\XMetaL 4\

Note that <My Documents> might be located various places depending on which version of Windows you have and how it is configured.

You should be able to confirm where your "UWL" file(s) are located by doing the following:
select Tools > Spell Checker > Options > User Word Lists, then click the Add List button. You should be taken to the folder containing that file.
kwag_myers

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:11:54 AM »

Thx. Everything went well until I entered the key code into the new machine and got an error. I have a note into Support, but after 24 hours there has been no reply. I guess I'll have to call.

edit: I just called. "Leave a voice mail..." Seriously????

Maybe you guys can help me. When I entered the Serial Number into the trial version I received an "invalid Serial Number" error. I tried lower case, upper case, and pasting. I then went to the web site referenced in the letter containing the Serial Number, logged in, downloaded, etc. Now I'm getting a "...RenderX activation failed..." error.

My OS is Windows 7.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:21:52 AM by kwag_myers » Logged

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

There are no cases for this issue in our support system as far as we can tell. Did you submit a case using this form? http://na.justsystems.com/contact-support.php

Voice mail is generally a good thing I think. It means you can leave a message when XMetaL Support doesn't happen to be available for a phone conversation. But written submissions for support are generally best though, as XMetaL Support cannot always provide an immediate answer for every issue.

If you installed XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 as a trial (ie: you did not enter a serial number during installation) it has logic that will not accept a trial extension serial number until the trial has expired. This is the first release that allows a trial to be extended and it has this one kink that I hope our developers can work out for the next release.

If this is not the error you are discussing please let us know as it might be something new that other clients have not yet reported. A real serial number should work at any time (ie: I cannot reproduce the issue as you have described it exactly -- converting a trial to a licensed version, but I can reproduce it using a trial extension number).

If this is the issue you have a couple of options:

1) Set your system clock forward or back a day or two and then set it back to the right date. This should cause the trial to expire. You should then be able enter the trial extension.

2) Use the product in trial mode for 30 days. Then when you are told the trial has expired enter the trial extension.

3) Obtain our current release from our sales people and install that after uninstalling your version. The current version is 6.0.1.030. When you install this version be sure to enter your serial number during the install process.

Note that in all of these cases your copy of RenderX will also be in trial mode and will put a logo on the bottom of each page if you are producing PDF with the "XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP" deliverable. A sample DITA map will also open when you first launch the program. All other features are the same as the licensed version.

The RenderX error is new to me. RenderX XEP requires its own license (it is a separate product that we install) and it sounds like the license file may be missing in your case. I cannot guess what might be wrong with your computer to trigger that at this point. I think it would be best to make sure you have properly installed the product before we try to deal with this one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:35:13 PM by Derek Read » Logged
kwag_myers

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:28 AM »

There are no cases for this issue in our support system as far as we can tell. Did you submit a case using this form? http://na.justsystems.com/contact-support.php

Yes. It has now been 48 hours with no reply.

1) Set your system clock forward or back a day or two and then set it back to the right date. This should cause the trial to expire. You should then be able enter the trial extension.

2) Use the product in trial mode for 30 days. Then when you are told the trial has expired enter the trial extension.

I moved the date forward two days and back to today. When that didn't work I moved it forward a month (there was 22 days left on my trial period) and tried to enter the Serial Number, resulting in this:

A problem was encountered verifying the trial license.
An unexpected error occurred.

If you are having trouble activating this application under the Vista, check that you are running it as Administrator.

"...under the Vista..."? Anyway, I suspected the problem may have been caused by my second install. Since I have several customizations to style sheets, templates, etc., I installed over the first trial version instead of uninstalling. So, I attempted to uninstall and received this:

Error 1500.Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one.
Note the missing space after the period. Yeah, I know - I should be in QA.

This is probably what caused the RenderX error. My only option at this point was to reinstall (Repair), allowing me to uninstall, and install once again, entering the Serial Number during the install. Problem solved.

I should mention that during this process there appeared to be two installations of differing dates and file sizes after the repair. I had to uninstall both of them.

If you installed XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 as a trial (ie: you did not enter a serial number during installation) it has logic that will not accept a trial extension serial number until the trial has expired. This is the first release that allows a trial to be extended and it has this one kink that I hope our developers can work out for the next release.

This explains the first error, "Unauthorized Serial Number".

3) Obtain our current release from our sales people and install that after uninstalling your version. The current version is 6.0.1.030. When you install this version be sure to enter your serial number during the install process.

This is the version I was using when I received the RenderX error. I downloaded it from the site referenced by sales in this Activation Note.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »

OK, good to hear you are up and running now. Thanks.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: