Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Cross references to reusable components in XMetal 5.5 EE  (Read 5446 times)
pmasal

« on: June 02, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »

I'm using XMetal 5.5 EE for Documentum Webtop. When I insert a reusable component reference in a DITA topic (for example a <table>, as shown in the attached screen capture), I cannot cross reference the content in the reusable component (insert <xref>'s list of available elements does not include the reusable component and its ID).

The reusable component has an ID that was auto-assigned by XMetaL when the component was created (AVM_RAID_groups_table). Does anyone know why I can't cross-link to this conref'd content as if it were "normal" content?

Thanks!
Paul

* xmetal_reusable_component_issue.jpg (58.7 KB, 650x527 - viewed 625 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »

Paul, do you know if the id attribute set on the "local content" or in the "conref target" (or possibly both)? I suspect it is set on the <table> element in the conref target and not on the conref source.

The local content, which DITA officially calls the "conref source" is essentially the placeholder <table> that is in the document just to keep it valid. It will typically contain the minimum number of elements to keep the document valid, but probably no actual content. The "conref target" is the element that contains the actual table (typically in an external file) containing your real content. The conref source has the conref attribute set to point to the conref target and it may not (probably won't) have an id attribute set on it. It doesn't have an id attribute set because we don't want it to appear as a false hit that you might try to link to in our dialogs. I think this usually makes sense the majority of the time because you probably don't want to link to a placeholder with no content (the conref source).

The conref source can be viewed by right clicking on your <table> that appears gray and selecting "Show Local Content". When you do this the styling will change from a gray background to a yellow background (so you can tell what you're looking at). You can then check the Attribute Inspector to see what the attributes are or hover over the opening or closing tag.

If you do want to reference the "local content" you would need to set an id attribute on it. If you want to reference the target you would select the file that contains it and then select the id corresponding to the table.

Hope you can follow this and that you have not uncovered a bug or something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:58:10 PM by Derek Read » Logged
pmasal

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »

Derek, thank you as always. When I "show local content" for the conref to the Reusable Component, I see the local version of the table as you describe. The table has an id, but it still doesn't show up in the available elements for insert -> cross reference (see the two attached images).

I can <xref> to the reusable component in Documentum, but the cross reference doesn't resolve correctly in our print output. It could be an issue with our customized transforms, but I have a feeling if I was able to xref to the local table (using "show local content"), it would be ok.

Is there any chance you can try re-producing this in your dev environment? I'm using XMetaL EE 5.5 with DCTM 6.5 SP1.

Thanks again!!
Paul

* xmetal_reusable_component_issue3.jpg (49.1 KB, 873x416 - viewed 696 times.)

* xmetal_reusable_component_issue2.jpg (39.14 KB, 873x200 - viewed 615 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »

I can't reproduce this with a basic install with no Documentum involved. I'll check to see if this is a known issue with the DCTM connector by testing there as well. I do have to explicitly and manually give the conref source (the yellow table) an id before it will be listed and I can link to it, which is expected.

This might take a little while to set up a test here with your version.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:09:32 PM by Derek Read » Logged
pmasal

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:18:10 AM »

I just re-tested with a) Accepting XMetaL's default ID for the local table and b) manually specifying my own ID for the local table. Neither work, both produce the same error situation (no table ID shows for cross-referencing). Thanks in advance for any further help you can provide, Derek.
Paul
pmasal

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »

Did anyone at JustSystems look at this issue? Thanks.
Paul
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »

Paul, we aren't able to reproduce this, but perhaps we're missing a particular detail. I'm not sure what to ask for though as I believe we should just need XMetaL Author Enterprise with the Documentum connector installed. Is there something custom about your installation? Additional scripts or some other modifications?
pmasal

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »

Because reusable components initially didn't work in XMetaL EE 5.5 for DCTM Webtop, we have a macro (attached and temporarily named to jpg from .mcr) in C:\Program Files\XMetaL 5.5\Author\StartUp, created by your team, that enables that to happen. Could this be the culprit?

* xmee_55_20091217.jpg (2.05 KB - downloaded 407 times.)
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: