Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Crash when adding metadata (6.0)  (Read 5925 times)
mzwecker

« on: February 04, 2010, 05:09:49 AM »

My colleague and I are both experiencing regular crashes when adding metadata to topics.

He is running Window7 with 6.0.0.122
I am running XP with 6.0.0.079

To reproduce the crash, do the following:
1. Open a topic (any type).
2. In Tags On or Normal view, click Insert > Topic Metadata
The prolog element will be added, but within a few moments (or upon your next action in XMetaL), XMetaL will crash.

The "error signature" is this:
AppName: xmetal60.exe    AppVer: 6.0.0.79    ModName: oleaut32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512    Offset: 00004942

I've opened a ticket with Support, but thought I would open a thread here in case others are suffering with the same issues.
cdybdahl

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

This sounds very similar to the issue identified in this thread:
http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,526.15.html

Derek posted a fix yesterday for this issue, and it appears to be working so far.

Worth a shot.
mzwecker

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »

Thanks, but Derek's fix is apparently for old installs, but my colleague has a fresh install and he is getting the same crash.  And our crash is specific to metadata.  We're OK with our map editing.

For now we're working in plain text view, which works fine.  It's just when we edit metadata in Tag or Normal that we get the crashes.

But thanks for the tip.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »

Spell checker DLLs
The issue described by mzwecker in this posting is a different from the "old spell checker DLLs from 5.5 not being updated with our 6.0 installer" issue. Our fix for the spell checker DLL issue is here and is an immediate fix you can do yourself --> http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,526.msg1916.html#msg1916 (and our future installers will do this properly so you won't have to manually fix it as per those instructions).

Topic Metadata dialog
This second crash seems to affect some people a lot of the time (or all the time for mzwecker) and some people are not affected at all (most people I hope?) -- I have yet to reproduce a crash on any of my test machines, but others have seen it here as have some colleagues in Japan. For some people, simply opening the Topic Metadata dialog once causes a crash and in some cases the people that see this issue need to open the dialog several times for the crash to occur.

There really is no good workaround for this particular issue except to avoid usage of the dialog by using the Element List and Attribute Inspector to work with these elements, in which case you may want to be in TagsOn view as seeing the tags may make it easier to work inside the <prolog> element. Not as convenient as the dialog, but you should not see the crash if you work this way.

Our developers are looking into this issue and think they are closing in on the true cause. At this point I'm not sure how we will be delivering a fix for it, or when. But we do consider this a high priority issue that needs to be dealt with.
gcrews

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »

There is still something goofy going on.  I am able to crash XMetaL about 9 times in 30 min when I’m doing different things.  But that is clicking around wily nilly until it crashes trying to pinpoint a cause. It seems to almost be random but nothing random. I think I may have a theory. It may be a timing thing if you try and insert something or do something right in the middle of the spell-check routine. The crashes I have experienced don’t seems to be related to a particular task but more the timing of quickly doing stuff. Every event in the picture below is an XMetaL crash.

I noticed one of the crashes was when the metadata.xft started being read right in the middle of reading   the writing tools files. Perhaps the removal of the files and repair install just defragmented the files causing them to load faster and not get interrupted therefore not crashing? My laptop also has whole disk encryption, perhaps people with slower disk I/O cause more crashes?

To reproduce a crash try opening up a dita file with a decent amount of text and go to “insert” menu, then “Topic Metadata” then just press “Ok” then repeat 8+times quickly trying to interrupt the spell check routine. 

* errors.JPG (157.43 KB, 988x590 - viewed 616 times.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:55:41 PM by gcrews » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »

JScript is involved and that is likely why there seems to be randomness. The Windows JScript engine releases objects (in XFT these equate to different controls used in a form) and does cleanup according to its own schedule and the timing of this cleanup may vary depending on processor speed, amount of RAM and the version of WSH you are running (so the jscript.dll in Windows might be different for different versions and patches of Windows). The crash is linked to this timing.

The Topic Metadata form is doing some pretty complex things and contains quite a few controls so it seems to be the form that triggers this issue most easily.

This is all probably just gobbledegook to most people and the details don't really matter. What I think really matters is that we are pretty confident at this point that we've located the portion of the product that is responsible (somewhere in the code that renders our XFT forms). We just need to wait for dev to figure out how to fix it at this point.

Note that if you aren't ever opening a form and you see a crash, that would indicate some other (possibly unknown) issue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:49:18 PM by Derek Read » Logged
mzwecker

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:24:10 AM »

Just to be clear, you can totally work around the "metadata form crash" by adding metadata directly in PlainText or in other views using the Element List and Attribute Inspector.   Just avoid Insert > Topic Metadata and you'll be ok.

So in the end I'm quite calm about this.  It's not a small bug, but it's not a showstopper for us.   

Good luck sorting it out.

Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: