Pages: 1 2 »
Print
Author Topic: Upgrade to 6.0 -- map editor crash?  (Read 43385 times)
cdybdahl

« on: November 30, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

First of all, let me take a moment to say what a great job has been done with the 6.0 release. The background spellcheck enhancement was a much-needed improvement, and the new Webhelp deliverable type is fantastic.

I would love to be able to recommend the upgrade to my users, but I have been experiencing a problem with the map editor that will prevent me from doing so until it is resolved.

The following steps cause this problem for me:

1. Open an existing DITA map using the map editor.
2. Expand an existing topichead in the map view.
3. Click once on the topicref under which I want to insert a new topic.
4. Click Insert > Topic Reference....
5. In the Topic Title: field, type the title for the new topic, and click Create...
6. Select the topic type (in this case, it is a task), click OK, and save the new topic.
7. Click OK to insert All topics in the file into the map. The new topic appears in the map, but is not nested beneath the topic selected in step 3 (this behavior differs from 5.5, which inserted new topics as children of whatever was selected in the map editor).
8. Click the right arrow in the map editor to move the new topic to the desired location (as a child of the selected topicref).
9. XMetaL crashes at this point with the error message that reads as follows:

xmetal60.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x77124972" referenced memory at "0x01966810". The memory could not be "read".

The first number appears to be static, and the memory location is variable each time I get the error.

This does not happen with every new topicref I insert, but it happens often enough to be more than annoying. With previous versions, I have experienced crashes when closing XMetaL, but that was not much of a problem. This, should it turn out to be an application problem, is.

It is certainly possible that this is an issue with something else running on my machine -- it might be useful if others could try the steps above to see if they can duplicate my error.

Thanks!
AndrewinKC

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »

I am running into the same issue (with the 30-day trial version of XMetaL). I am trying to create a new DITA map and topics. Invariably, as I go to save the DITA map or insert a topic; XMetaL crashes.

Most of my team is using XMetaL 5.5 with no such issues. I was hoping to learn XMetaL and evaluate the possibility of upgrading. The WebHelp output is very appealling to me.

Anything I can do to try and resolve this so I can continue looking at the new version?

AndrewinKC
mmoulder

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »

I am seeing even more random results with XMetal 6.0 crashing all the time on XP for multiple users. Seems to happen the most when I switch from another window to Xmetal but not always the case. Ours is so random, I can't figure out a pattern, at least you have a pattern. Seems to be working great on my one Windows 7 test box.
cdybdahl

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »

Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles, but glad that I'm not alone.
I've had to revert back to 5.5, unfortunately, on my company-issued machine.

One thing I've noticed as I've tested on machines with different configurations is that the presence of absence of certain other applications seems to have an effect.

If other users experiencing this problem could report what antivirus software they use, it might help to confirm my hypothesis.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:31:27 PM »

I am using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise version. If that helps.

Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles, but glad that I'm not alone.
I've had to revert back to 5.5, unfortunately, on my company-issued machine.

One thing I've noticed as I've tested on machines with different configurations is that the presence of absence of certain other applications seems to have an effect.

If other users experiencing this problem could report what antivirus software they use, it might help to confirm my hypothesis.
Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

I haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue with the Map Editor crashing (Murphy's 25th collorary: If anything can go wrong, it will on your customer's machines and not on the Support team's machines).

XMetaL 6.0 has some new options that affect how the Map Editor works. You can see these options by opening any DITA topic and then clicking Tools > DITA Options.  Can you try unchecking the two checkboxes at the bottom of this dialog, and let us know if that helps?

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:01:48 AM »

Su-Laine,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. I tried your suggestion and it seemed to work at first. I got as far as being able to save a DITA Map. It crashed as soon as I tried saving the concept DITA topic I was inserting into the DITA Map.

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

I haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue with the Map Editor crashing (Murphy's 25th collorary: If anything can go wrong, it will on your customer's machines and not on the Support team's machines).

XMetaL 6.0 has some new options that affect how the Map Editor works. You can see these options by opening any DITA topic and then clicking Tools > DITA Options.  Can you try unchecking the two checkboxes at the bottom of this dialog, and let us know if that helps?

AndrewinKC

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »

OK - here is a bit more background. I can create concept and reference topics with no seeming limitations. I even switch between the different views and generate output.

The problems arise once I create a DITA Map. I was able to insert two topics. As soon as I tried to move the topics using the arrows in the Map Editor - CRASH!!!!

I hope this helps out in tracking down this issue.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:06:05 AM by AndrewinKC » Logged
cdybdahl

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

So... earlier when the potential conflict with McAfee was identified, I uninstalled 6.0 and reverted back to 5.5, so I could still work in XMetaL.

When I saw the latest troubleshooting step, I went ahead and uninstalled 5.5 again and re-installed 6.0 again. I didn't want to report back before I had a couple of days working with the freshly installed 6.0 under my belt, but the crashes have gone away entirely.

The only difference I can think of between the first time I installed 6.0 and this time is that I rebooted following the uninstall of 5.5 the second time around.

So on my end, this problem appears to be solved.
cdybdahl

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »

I will have to retract my previous post -- the fix seems to have been temporary (and just outside of what I thought a reasonable threshold of time).

The crashing has returned for me after ~2 solid days of use. On another test machine, reinstalling 6.0 did not solve the problem for any period of time.

De-selecting the two check boxes under Topic references in the DITA Options dialog (as mentioned above) does not appear to have any effect.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »

OK - I tried to uninstall and then reinstall XMetaL 6. Still ran into the problem with working in the Map Editor crashing XMetaL.

Decided to go ahead and play around with building some simple reference topics. everything worked fine... until I decided to add some conditional text. The first insert worked fine. I then selected an existing paragraph and selected properties, conditions, CRASH!

I didn't even get to see the dialog box where it asks you for the Audience, Platform, and so on.

I am more than halfway through my evaluation period of 6. Looks like my team will stick the 5.5 release for now.
Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 12:36:27 PM »

Thanks everyone for the reports. It looks like at least two organizations that are reporting crashes with XMetaL 6.0 are using McAfee antivirus software. So it would be really helpful for us to know the following:

1) Is anyone seeing an unusual number of crashes with XMetaL 6.0 who is not using McAfee antivirus software?

2) If you are seeing crashes with XMetaL 6.0 and you are using McAfee antivirus software: Can you try booting one of these problem machines into Windows "safe mode"? I'm hoping that might allow you to bypass the anti-virus software to run XMetaL Author Enterprise without it running. You may wish to do a complete scan of the system prior to this and (if really paranoid) disconnect from your network just in case.

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.
cdybdahl

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »

Hi Su-Laine,

Yes, Derek actually asked that I try that in an e-mail conversation. I was able to boot one machine into safe mode and the problem persisted.

To recap briefly, I have four test machines. Two are company-owned and cannot be booted to safe mode. One is a personal machine of mine, which does not exhibit this behavior (and does not have McAfee installed), and the fourth is a coworker's personal machine that does have McAfee installed (this is the one that we tried your suggestion on).

I will also say that I agree with Andrew's reports that this crash may not be isolated to the map editor. It has now also occurred for me when using the attribute inspector. I have not tried applying conditions as he describes in his most recent post, but that is interesting as it is also attribute-related.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot. I understand that it is impossible to replicate all possible client system configurations in a QA environment.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »

The following McAfee apps are running on my desktop:

• VirusScan Enterprise v8.5i
  • McAfee Agent v4.0.0.1345
  • McAfee DLP Agent v2.2.200.11
  • Hercules Remediation Agent v4.5.0

I cannot boot into safe mode on my corporate desktop. I was able disable the VirusScan engine. I was able to recreate the crash by adding a condition to some text in  topic (specifically, adding a Linux platform condition; curiously, I was able to add a Windows platform tag previously without crashing. I'll play around with this again).

I will go ahead and download the XMetaL trial to my personal laptop. I have McAfee loaded on this machine; so I can try to see if we can narrow things down a bit.

Thanks,

AndrewinKC
mmoulder

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »

Is anybody seeing this on a Windows 7 machine? I don't see any problems on Windows 7 but I do Windows XP and Vista. It could be cause there is no McAfee products on Windows 7 and they are on XP and I am not sure on Vista.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

I just recreated this problem about five minutes ago. Here is the configuration:

HP Laptop, quad-core processor, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional, AT&T Internet Security Suite (rebranded McAfee).

Security Center 9.15
VirusScan 13.15
Personal Firewall 10.15
SiteAdvisor 2.8
EasyNetwork 3.15

Just installed XMetaL Author (downloaded today), disabled VirusScan, created a DITAMap, then tried to insert a topic; it crashes when it tries to insert the topic.

I would really like to see this issue resolved as I am holding off on purchasing two more licenses for my team until this is fixed. I would really like the WebHelp output capability.

Let me know if any further information would be helpful in getting this resolved.

Thanks,

AndrewinKC

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »

I have tested the following two versions of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (trial versions) and cannot reproduce this crash yet, so at least on my test machines simply having McAfee installed is not an obvious trigger for this issue. There are many settings in McAfee VirusScan so I selected all default installation options and left all run-time settings at their default values.

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0

In both cases I am running XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0.0.079 on Windows XP SP3 with all current recommended Windows updates installed.

I've tried the steps posted by cdybdahl here http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,526.msg1660.html#msg1660
as well as every other major test we have in our test case suite for testing the Map Editor.

At this point I think we're possibly looking at some other trigger for this. If it was a common issue (ie: it happens for everyone) I would expect to have been flooded with complaints, but that is currently not the case, so it does still seem to be something unique that is triggering the problem.

I'll see if I can get "AT&T Internet Security Suite" (reported by AndrewinKC). It might do something that McAfee VirusScan Enterprise does not.

However, it could also be something entirely different so if anyone has definitive information pointing to a reproducible cause please let me know.
cdybdahl

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »

At the risk of providing too much information, I ran a complete system profile using Belarc Advisor (use at your own risk -- my corporate network switch saw one of its tests as malicious and shut down my LAN connection, resulting in some downtime for me). The results are attached; they are zipped because HTML attachments are not allowed on this forum.

If others could post their results (AndrewinKC?), perhaps they could be cross-referenced to determine what other common factors are present in our configurations. This file contains software license and login information, so be sure to remove that before posting.

I am very interested in seeing this issue resolved. It is preventing me from deploying 6.0 to any new users, and I cannot justify continuing a maintenance arrangement for a tool where I am stuck with an old (and eventually unsupported) version that is, in my opinion, well inferior to the excellent work being done on this product.

* config.zip (19.04 KB - downloaded 1352 times.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:21:05 AM by cdybdahl » Logged
mmoulder

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »

When we run XMEE 6.0 on Windows 7 we don't see any problems, but with XP it sucks.
Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 02:47:14 PM »

Mark, did the Windows 7 machine have a previous version of XMetaL on it before you installed 6.0?

From this thread, a recent support case, and some testing we've done in the past couple of days, there are a few arrows pointing in the direction of certain crashes being related to upgrading XMetaL from a previous version. We'll keep testing to narrow down the cause.

To any of you who've seen unusual amounts of crashing in XMetaL 6 on machines that had a previous version of XMetaL: If you have time to try the following procedure to completely uninstall and reinstall XMetaL, it would be really good to know if it solves the problem. Use this procedure: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php?topic=67.0 AND also delete C:\Program Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL\Writing Tools\10.0 before installing XMetaL 6.0. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:05:30 PM by Su-Laine Yeo » Logged

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.
Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

Also to be on the safe side, back up and delete C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Corel User Files before reinstalling XMetaL 6.0.

Has anyone seen an unusual amount of crashing using XMetaL 6.0 on a machine that has never had a previous version of XMetaL installed on it?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:13:36 PM by Su-Laine Yeo » Logged

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

We now know of a potential crash that may be related to the various crashes people are seeing here.

If our suspicions are correct this only affects machines that had an older version of XMetaL Author (Essential or Enterprise) on it before installing XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0. We think that on such a machine older versions of DLLs used for spell checking were not updated by the 6.0 installer.

Removing these files manually and then forcing the 6.0 installer to restore them using "Repair" should hopefully address this problem.

1. On the machine with XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 installed locate the following folder and delete it: C:\Program Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL\Writing Tools\10.0
This is the path for an English language version of Windows, if you have installed to another language version of Windows the C:\Program Files portion may differ).

2. In the Windows Control Panel launch the "Add or Remove Programs" tool.

3. From the list of installed programs select "XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0" then click the "Change" button.

4. In the dialog that appears select the "Next" button, then select the "Repair" radio button, then click "Next", then click "Install..." and allow the installer to complete.

We have had one confirmation from a client that this addressed crashes for them as well as an inability in some cases to launch the product.
gcrews

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 07:18:01 PM »

would steps 2-4 also be acompilshed by running:
setup.exe /s /v"/qb /norestart ALLUSERS=1"
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »

Best to test this on one or two machines before you start rolling out this fix to all users.

This does not work for me:
setup.exe /s /v"/qb /norestart ALLUSERS=1"

However, this does perform a repair for me:
msiexec.exe /f {FADC4112-2EFE-4456-85B4-4D28FFC717C6} /qn

If you have trouble with that omit the /qn directive and check the error raised by msiexec.exe

Alternatively, you can use something like this:
msiexec.exe /f "C:\Documents and Settings\<windows login>\Local Settings\Temp\XMEE 6.0\xmetal\XMetaL Author Enterprise.msi" /qn

Note that msiexec.exe is the Windows Installer tool located in C:\Windows\System32 so should not need a path to run.

Two requirements:
1. The files used to do the original installation must still be present (this is the same requirement if you wish to use the Repair feature via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel). As they are typically unpacked to a Windows temp folder they may have been removed either by the user or by some other automated cleanup process.
2. If used, the path to XMetaL Author Enterprise.msi must be correct. In my example <windows login> should be replaced with the user's account name, assuming this is where the original installer unpacked itself to. This entire path might be completely different in your installations.

Microsoft docs for msiexec.exe running on Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/msiexec.mspx
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

PS: How did I find the installer GUID used for this product (the one msiexec.exe accepts)?

Look in the registry here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Our products use a GUID to identify themselves in the Windows Installer database, so you need to click on all the GUID-like entries until you find one for XMetaL (or go to that key and search for "XMetaL" using Ctrl+F).
gcrews

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

Hum ok, well it seemed to work on my system and replace the deleted files. The setup.exe and stuff have a modified date of 1/14/2010. I’m using the extracted files from the install instead of trying to use the add & remove msi and stuff.  We are still mainly on XMetaL 5.5 but getting ready to migrate to 6.0. I don’t see way  re running the install  would not  replace the files.
gcrews

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

I still can get XMetaL 6.0 to crash after a fresh install. I did find some things that may help.

In the windows application log file it says:
"Faulting application xmetal60.exe, version 6.0.0.122, stamp 4b4ee45a, faulting module oleaut32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, stamp 4802a112, debug? 0, fault address 0x00004942."
The interesting thing though is the event source it says “.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting”
I looked into what dlls XMetaL has open and looks like some .net framework 2.0 stuff is open. I have 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 versions of the .net framework on my system. Perhaps having older versions of the .net framework on the system is causing the crashes?

Also trying to pinpoint the issue, I found slurry of reads to topicref.xft right before the crash. The topicref.xft file is 37,806 bytes and it looks like it crashed one I/O read away from the end of the file.  The Microsoft application error reporting application (dw20.exe) also opens a handle to just that XMetaL file when it runs.   

Hope that helps. Images atached showing log and stuff.

* log.jpg (157.25 KB, 761x926 - viewed 1154 times.)

* pclog.jpg (283.02 KB, 1447x633 - viewed 1148 times.)
cdybdahl

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

Removing the spell checking directory as Derek suggests above:
C:\Program Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL\Writing Tools\10.0

And then repairing the installation using Add/Remove Programs appears to have fixed the problem for me.

Thanks!
mmoulder

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »

Is anyone still seeing this issue? I have one writer on Windows 7 and using the latest build that is still crashing when editing a map file, but now also when she inserts a graphic.
duboisy

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

We could not launch XMetaL 6.0 trial version ( 6.0.0.122) with a previoius 4.5 Author version installed. By following Derek's instructions, we also confirm it did fix that problem. hth

We now know of a potential crash that may be related to the various crashes people are seeing here.

If our suspicions are correct this only affects machines that had an older version of XMetaL Author (Essential or Enterprise) on it before installing XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0. We think that on such a machine older versions of DLLs used for spell checking were not updated by the 6.0 installer.

Removing these files manually and then forcing the 6.0 installer to restore them using "Repair" should hopefully address this problem.

1. On the machine with XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 installed locate the following folder and delete it: C:\Program Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL\Writing Tools\10.0
This is the path for an English language version of Windows, if you have installed to another language version of Windows the C:\Program Files portion may differ).

2. In the Windows Control Panel launch the "Add or Remove Programs" tool.

3. From the list of installed programs select "XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0" then click the "Change" button.

4. In the dialog that appears select the "Next" button, then select the "Repair" radio button, then click "Next", then click "Install..." and allow the installer to complete.

We have had one confirmation from a client that this addressed crashes for them as well as an inability in some cases to launch the product.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

We've been working with two different clients via standard support that have told us now that having McAfee VirusScan Enterprise installed with the "ScriptScan" feature enabled will cause easily reproducible crashes in XMetaL Author Enterprise. In both cases the specific version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is 8.7i patch 3. Disabling "ScriptScan" stops the crashes.

If you have this software installed, and specifically this version, and can disable this feature it is very much worth trying. This software also has a way to identify folders to skip during this scanning, so in theory it should be possible to leave the feature on but configure it to play nicely with our software.

We're still trying to figure out what McAfee is doing exactly, but we suspect at this point the software is either renaming, deleting files in our installation folders or otherwise stopping our software from reading them. If this is the case that would explain the crashes.
AndrewinKC

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »

McAfee VirusScan seems to be the issue. We were able to resolve the issue after we uninstalled, and then reinstalled the McAfee VirusScan (exact version referenced in Derek's e-mail). Our Tech noticed that some of the McAfee features were not working properly and that the log files contained a lot of garbage characters.

So for now, the problem seems to have been resolved by reinstalling McAfee. ScriptScan is enabled on my machine without any issues.
gcrews

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

Is the “processes on enable” on the first option tab checked or not? I know that when I was doing some testing on a clean system there didn’t seem to be any issues when that was unchecked as it is by default Xmetal does not seem to crash but found that if it is checked then Xmetal starts to crash.  I tried un-checking it on my main computer that I work on though and Xmetal still crashed when that was unchecked. I wonder if it has something to with the performance when more stuff is running.  It seems to be some kind of issue with timing collision issue.
gcrews

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »

Interesting Microsoft kb I found that give a little more insight into what the ScriptScan is doing:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890736

“This problem is typically caused by McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i. Specifically, the problem may occur when the McAfee Scriptscan.dll component scans a script that calls an ActiveX control.

The McAfee ScriptScan component replaces the Windows Script Host component with its own proxy component. The McAfee ScriptScan proxy component (ScriptProxy.dll) scans JavaScript and Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) scripts. When a script is executed and passes through the scan as clean, the script is passed on to the appropriate Windows Script Host.

However, the ScriptProxy.dll component may cause an access violation when it parses the Active Directory Management Pack scripts in the MOMHost.exe process that calls ActiveX controls. When the ScriptProxy.dll component stops responding, the MOMHost.exe process that is running the script also fails. The MOM service tries to restart the failed MOMHost.exe process, and the access violation is repeated.”
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »

Interesting find gcrews. I've found this article as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891604

It lists the following McAfee KB articles that may be of interest:
kb40067, kb47302, and kb40049.

McAfee seems to have changed those numbers however. Searching for them on McAfee's site will turn up the following...

An article called "Third-party application stops responding when ScriptScan is running". This seems old (2008) but might still apply, or perhaps a similar issue has re-appeared in newer versions:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55961

"Problem 4" in the following article (also from 2008) lists a few applications that are known to crash when ScriptScan is enabled:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58564

This newer article from May 2010 discusses various workarounds for issues related to ScriptScan:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55963

At this point perhaps people suspecting McAfee is crashing our product should communicate their findings directly to McAfee so they are aware of the issue. Hearing an issue from multiple sources always gets the attention of a software vendor, and you can give them the exact details they might ask for (I don't know what they would want to know specifically about any system).

I have yet to reproduce any problems. Our latest suspicion is that it might be because I have been testing on a VM and not a real machine and that McAfee's software may function differently on real hardware. I am in the process of setting up some tests on a real machine. So, at the moment I don't have much to tell them. As soon as I have a reproducible test case I will be contacting them myself.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:41:20 PM by Derek Read » Logged
gcrews

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »

I did some testing and even with one core CPU system it still crashes. There does seem to be a fair amount of issues with McAfee and ScriptScan. I think the issues may just be more prominent in XMetaL because of its extensive JavaScript usage and calls. When I do stack traces of the debug the last call is almost always to OLEAUT32!VariantClear(… In the jscript.dll Garbage collection stuff. To me that’s seems more like an issue with the way the ScriptScan proxies the stuff and not per say any coding in XMetaL. We will see what MacAfee can figure out.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:55:09 PM by gcrews » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »

I've finished configuring a real test box and I can now reproduce the crashes, extremely easily as long as McAfee "ScriptScan" is enabled.

Please go ahead and contact McAfee and provide whatever info they need. The issue is reproducible with XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 running in 30-day trial mode so they can easily get a copy.

In the meantime, at least I have something to show our developers too, so they'll be looking into it as well in case there is something we can do.

The only solution I have at the moment for avoiding these crashes is to turn the McAfee ScriptScan feature off, which is the same solution McAfee has recommended for various other issues listed in their Knowledgebase that look very similar (to me). Here's what McAfee says about that:

IMPORTANT: There is a security risk in disabling ScriptScan. Certain applications, like Outlook and Internet Explorer, can render and execute scripts before a file has been created on the local system, thus executing before the On-Access scanner can prevent them. The On-Access scanner can stop the payload of attacks via this medium, but ScriptScan prevents a legitimate threat from executing in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:28:12 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1 2 »
Print
Jump to: