Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetaL Essential hangs using UNC paths  (Read 477 times)
olehtine

« on: March 14, 2019, 01:31:23 AM »

I have a problem opening files using UNC path. Open dialog seems to hang for a while (~10-20 sec) before I can choose filename or navigate into another folder. There is no problem if I map the path to a drive letter. We also have several references to the UNC path in macros and other customization files and sometimes (not every time) XMetaL hangs when trying to use a macro. For some users it could take several minutes, so they have to shut down the application (from Task Manager) to get on with their work.

Is there any known problem using UNC paths sith XMetaL? Is mapping to the direve letter the only way to solve the problem?

We are using Windows 10 and XMetaL Essential 11.0.
I am also currently testing with XMetaL Essential 13.0, but the problem seems to persist.

Thanks,

-Outi
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »

If the path to the DTD or XSD Schema is of significant length then the path that XMetaL Author generates to save files in the user's per-user folder may end up being too long for Windows:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL\<version#>\gen\<path to original dtd or xsd>\<files here>

The fact that the issue goes away for you when you map the UNC path to a drive letter (reducing the length) suggests it might be the same issue. XMetaL Author Enterprise version 14 might include a fix that will help. XMetaL Author Essential 14 will not be released for a while.

It's hard to know for sure what your issue is without getting more detail about what is stored at the UNC path, so which files XMetaL Author is opening from there, etc. So if you can provide that information we can probably give more detail.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:12:37 PM by Derek Read » Logged
olehtine

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:16 AM »

We have all the files at UNC path: DTD, CSS, CTM, MCR, XSL and also the XML files we are editing.
Below is the longest path to a DTD we have. I don't think it's nowhere near the limit.

\\valtion.fi\Yhteiset tiedostot\Kotus\fo\struktur\fo.dtd
C:\Users\12345678\AppData\Roaming\SoftQuad\XMetaL\13.0\gen\valtion.fi\Yhteiset tiedostot\Kotus\fo\struktur\fo.dtd

I forgot to mention that opening XML files directly from Windows Explorer (Open with XMetaL...) works without delay and I have advised our users to do so. But that does not help with the occasional hangs that happen when editing (and using macros).
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »

Yes, that path looks to be far under any Windows limits (commonly 255).

Hard to say exactly what your issue might be. Perhaps there is some race condition occurring with multiple copies of the software or another process attempting to use files at the same time?

The initial posting suggested the software was hanging (and never opening the file). But it sounds to me like what you are saying is that the file is opened, it just takes longer using one method (there are many ways to open a file in the GUI and via different APIs) vs right clicking and asking Windows Explorer to ask XMetaL Author to open the file.

If you were to move the customization files to the user's local machine (this is the standard method of deployment) that should speed things up (if the issue is the speed of copying the files from the server each time).

I'm not sure what you mean when you mention macros being an issue. Whatever behaviour you are seeing with macros would likely be very specific to what the macro is doing. If you can provide XMetaL Support with some samples they could have a look and possibly make some recommendations.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us