Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetal Author 10: Entering Attribute Values  (Read 599 times)
A S

« on: January 30, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »

In XMetaL 10 Author, when a user is working on a topic in Tags On view and they enter an attribute value using the Attribute Inspector, the value is not saved unless the user clicks in a different attribute field before leaving the Attribute Inspector. If a user enters an attribute value in the Attribute Inspector and then clicks in the main window, the att inspector closes without saving the new att value. As a result, users assume the attribute value has been saved, when it has actually been deleted. Requiring users to click in a different, blank attribute field in order to save an entered attribute value is inconvenient.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a topic in XMetaL 10, in Tags On view.
2. Add a new tag pair and click after the opening tag.
3. Open the Attribute Inspector.
4. Type a value in one of the attribute fields and click in the topic pane.
The Attribute Inspector closes.
5. Open the Attribute Inspector and verify that the value entered in step 4 is not present.
6. Type a value in one of the attribute fields and click in a different, blank attribute field.
7. Click in the topic pane.
The Attribute inspector closes.
8.  Open the Attribute Inspector and verify that the value entered in step 6 is present.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »

I recall this bug. It was introduced sometime between version 8 (?) and 10 and was corrected sometime between version 10 and 13, though I'm not sure exactly when. I think it was introduced with version 8 because of a conflict with the new feature added that slides windows out of the way ("pin" and "auto hide").

I've tested the behaviour in 13 (current release) and see the expected behaviour.

A value entered in the Attribute Inspector should be set when you perform the following actions:
- move to a different attribute (in the Attribute Inspector) for the same element using the mouse or tab key
- press enter
- put focus back into the same document using the mouse
- put focus into a different document using the mouse

Pressing the Esc key will return to the document without setting the attribute.

Note that this applies to setting values directly in the Attribute Inspector only. If an attribute is set in a form (even one launched from the Attribute Inspector) the logic for how attributes are set is contained entirely within the form and may vary depending on the customization and how the form was designed to function.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:59:09 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us