Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetal macro using XFT form and user input won't work in XMetal 11.0  (Read 210 times)
Randy316

« on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.  I am working with XMetal Author Enterprise 11.0 on Windows 7 Enterprise version. I have a macro that searches for reference callouts and uses a popup dialog box to enter the desired ref number to search. Often we need to search for a ref number, change the text referenced by the number, then go to the next instance of the ref number and do the same thing multiple times. The macro worked fine in XMetal 6.0 but when we switched to XMetal 11.0, it stopped working in tags-on view (the dialog box pops up and allows you to enter a number, but does nothing when you click OK or press Enter); it only works now in plain-text view.  This is not useful for us as all of our input must be done in tags-on view. In order for the macro to work now, we have to switch to plain-text view, run the macro and enter a ref number into the dialog box, find the ref, switch back to tags-on view, and make any editing changes for that instance of the ref number, then repeat the whole process. Does anyone know why this macro won't work in XMetal 11.0 and/or how to make a macro that does accept input and run correctly in this version? Thanks.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »

I don't think any of the APIs you might be using to move the selection have changed between these versions. APIs generally are only every modified to extend them (though this is rare). I think you've either you've found a bug or an API was being used incorrectly and happened to function the way you wanted it to in 6 but has since been fixed.

Either way, please submit a support case to XMetaL Support and include all the necessary files to reproduce the issue. XMetaL Support can have a look at it, reproduce the issue, and try to help you figure it out.

Another option would be to test again in version 12 or 13. If the issue is due to some bug with an API it may have been corrected for one of those versions (assuming a client found the same issue and reported it or it was found through testing).
Randy316

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Derek. I will have to discuss this with my support person at work to get permission to upload anything; I don't think we have access to any later versions of XMetal.

I don't think any of the APIs you might be using to move the selection have changed between these versions. APIs generally are only every modified to extend them (though this is rare). I think you've either you've found a bug or an API was being used incorrectly and happened to function the way you wanted it to in 6 but has since been fixed.

Either way, please submit a support case to XMetaL Support and include all the necessary files to reproduce the issue. XMetaL Support can have a look at it, reproduce the issue, and try to help you figure it out.

Another option would be to test again in version 12 or 13. If the issue is due to some bug with an API it may have been corrected for one of those versions (assuming a client found the same issue and reported it or it was found through testing).
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »

I would not upload anything a company owns here, especially if you need to get permission to do so. The entire world can see what is up here, which is a benefit as sometimes other users can help (that is the main purpose of the forum), but of course that also means people have access to anything you upload here.

I would recommend submitting files and any other information to XMetaL Support so it can be dealt with properly as a support case.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: