Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Attribute hover on "Normal View" screen  (Read 403 times)
AmitElhanan

« on: March 01, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »

Is there a way to get the attribute hover that works on the "Tags On View" to work in the "Normal View"?

Using XMetaL Author Enterprise 10.0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:20:58 AM by AmitElhanan » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »

Popping something up in Normal view in the same way it appears in Tags On view would tend to get in the way I think, at least if the same gesture was used.

The only thing I can think of that might give you some bit of similar functionality immediately using existing functionality and that wouldn't get in the way would be to display something in the status bar. There isn't a lot of room in there though, so I think you'd want to limit which attributes are being displayed to one or two.

The following would give you that functionality, provided it doesn't conflict with another macro already in your customization(s) that is displaying information in there:

Code:
<MACRO name="On_Update_UI" lang="JScript" hide="false"><![CDATA[

//add attributes to the following array to include them in the status bar display
var attrs = ["id","href"];

var msg = "";
for(i=0;i<attrs.length;i++) {
msg += attrs[i] + "=\"";
msg += Selection.ContainerAttribute(attrs[i]) + "\"  ";
}
Application.SetStatusText(msg);
]]></MACRO>

I don't think that is much better than having the Attribute Inspector open but you might feel otherwise. One benefit might be that displaying this information in the status bar kind of makes sense because you don't really know exactly what you have selected in Normal view unless you look at the mini-context to see which element you are in (and that appears just above the status bar, so you're looking in the same place).
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »

This somewhat related idea might also be useful:
http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,738.0.html
AmitElhanan

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:47:22 AM »

Thank you Derek,

I'll give these suggestions a shot.
Pages: 1
Print