Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Reuse a single row from a large table in a different topic? Author Enterprise 9  (Read 65 times)
PhilB

« on: June 28, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »

I'm new to XMetaL and DITA so please forgive me if I'm not providing enough information or asking a question properly. 

I have a few topics in XMetaL that have large tables in them.  I then have separate topics for each of the rows in the large tables.  Is it possible to reuse a single row from the large table and different topic without just copying the row into the other topic?
MarcB

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »

This is dealt with in the topic "Conref a table row" in the General XMetaL Discussion section of this forum.

It works.

I have found, though, that I need to enter the same number of empty cells to the target row (the one containing the @conref) as there are in the source row (the one containing the @id).
I do that in plain text view.

But that applies to XMetaL 12, so I'm not sure the same holds for version 9.
PhilB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »

MarcB,

Sorry I didn't see the other discussion when I searched and thanks for your response. 

I forgot to add that we are using SDL Knowledge Center - Publication Manager (12.0.1) with XMetaL Author Enterprise 9.  XMetaL will not allow me to insert a content reference when in plain text view.  It is grayed out.  If I am in normal or tag view it will allow me to insert a conref.  However I am only able to do a table not a row. 

Are you using SDL as well or is your conref going through XMetaL?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

The functionality that drives the DITA authoring is effectively disabled in Plain Text view because the APIs required are not available.

You can easily conref to a row from another table just like you can any other element in Tags On or Normal view:

1. Put your selection inside the table you want to add the conref target row to.
2. From the Reuse menu select "Insert Element with Content Reference".
3. In the dialog that appears (Insert Element with Content Reference) you will see a list of id values under "Start of Range" that are in the current document.
  a. If the row you want to conref to is in the list select it then click OK. A source row ("local content") will be inserted and the reference to the other row will be added to it (the conref attribute will be set).
  b. If the table row is in another document then select the other file using the Browse button. A list of elements that have an id in that other document will be shown and you can select the row from this list. A source row ("local content") will be inserted and the reference to the other row will be added to it (the conref attribute will be set).

In both cases the source (aka: local content) for the row that is inserted will be given the same number of entry elements as the row above it in the table (the same as adding a row "normally"). This allows it to be rendered as part of the rest of the table even in cases where you have selected a row with fewer or more entry elements. The number of entry elements isn't mandated by XML validity, or DITA, or the CALS table specs. In most cases you'll want to conref to similar table rows to keep things simple and avoid working with complicated structures that include  spanning (@morerows, @namest and @nameend).

If this doesn't work for you I would suggest contacting SDL to ask for special instructions. Their integration with XMetaL Author Enterprise might alter our features, or their CMS might have special requirements for this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:06:35 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us