Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Images incorrect in pdfs generated using XMetal Enhanced PDF via RenderXXEP  (Read 494 times)
Joddie

« on: May 03, 2017, 04:51:40 AM »

Our team is struggling to try and get our pdf outputs to look ok using a combination of XMetal 8 (me) and Xmetal 11 (my colleagues).

All pdfs show outsize images that are spilling off the page. When I check our source control, I see that the writers on the project before had no problems generating pdfs that look ok. I am using the renderer recommended for the project and I cannot generate a good looking pdf, even in cases when I have made no changes to the source at all, but just rendered what was already there.

I googled the problem and I saw some discussion for XMetal 6 talking about making changes to xslt.. but i am uncertain what should be done... Furthermore I do not understand why the out of the box solution was working for other writers and not for us.

Thanks very much!
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »

The most likely issue here is the difference in DPI declared in the images (in JPG I think this is called density, might be something else in other image formats if they support it) and what the DITA OT / deliverable used to generate output assumes which might be 72 or 96 or something else (this is then passed on to the PDF engine (RenderX XEP, Antenna House Formatter, or Apache FOP).

If this is working fine for your colleagues running version 11 then it sounds like the easiest thing to do is to upgrade (upgrades are free, check with the sales people). Makes sense for everyone to be running the same version anyway doesn't it? Also, keep in mind that version 8 supports Windows Vista, 7 and 8.0 (not 8.1 or 10) so if you want to upgrade your Windows version you should plan to upgradeanyway.

Why this would be working fine for some people and not others, or with some files and not others (I'm not sure which is the case here) is difficult to say without more information. There are too many possibilities here. If there are differences between the version 11 installs then it would be best to diff the files in the installations of the DITA OT on those computers to see what the differences are. If the difference is just between version 8 and 11 (for the same deliverable type) then that isn't too surprising as the DITA OT versions are different.

If you submit a case to XMetaL Support and provide the following they can look into it in detail:
- Full version number of your XMetaL Author Enterprise install.
- The name of the deliverable you are using to generate the PDF.
- A copy of any input files you are using to generate the output: a map, a topic and an image that reproduces the issue.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »

Something else to think about, if the files you are using to generate output are different from your colleagues:

1. Perhaps the DITA @scale attribute is set to something other than 1?
2. Perhaps one of @width or @height or both are set to a larger or small size than the original image size.
3. Perhaps the image simply does not fit on the paper size for the PDF you are generating? In this case you can use one of the above (@scale, @width, @height) to make adjustments.
Joddie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:55 AM »

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. In fact my colleagues with 11 are having the exact issue I am and have raised a ticket. One of the previous writers on the project shared an .xsl file which fixes the issue for me.

The file name is xm_image_size_fix.xsl and i put it in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\plugins\xmfo\Customization\fo\xsl\xm_image_size_fix.xsl

Since that location and file do not appear to exist in XMetal 11, my colleagues were not able to use this fix. Is it going to be possible to replicate it for an installation of XMetal 11 do you think?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

If the file they want to use fixes the issue then they will need to put it into the DITA OT at the right place. In version 11 three different versions of the DITA OT are installed and configured, with 2.4 being the default version that runs when you generate output from inside XMetaL Author Enterprise:

C:\ProgramData\SoftQuad\XMetaL\Shared\DITA_OT2.0
C:\ProgramData\SoftQuad\XMetaL\Shared\DITA_OT2.2
C:\ProgramData\SoftQuad\XMetaL\Shared\DITA_OT2.4

Joddie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:02:23 AM »

Hi Derek,

Thanks very much for your additional response. When browsing these folders is the filename i shared with you going to be something we can place in there? Or do the contents need to be appended to a file within those folders?

The responder to our ticket keeps asking for us to send everything to him so he can try to replicate the issue which is totally understandable of course. Without that he's unwilling to even address our questions or comment on the fix that works for me.

The problem is that we'll need permission to release those files to a 3rd party and that could take time we don't really have. I would love to be able to use the lines of xslt that are working so well to resolve the issue for me in my colleagues' installations as well.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us