Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Cannot connect to license server: XMetaL 8 licensing issue  (Read 820 times)
huntley

« on: January 19, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »

Version: XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0.1.052

We have a user who is trying to register a new install of XMetaL but he is receiving an error when registering the license. When he tries to register his system, he receives an error that the license server cannot be reached.

I checked the license file and it looks valid, though the connection error makes me think it is getting to the point where it validates the license.

I have two questions:
- The license server is still running at https://jsls.xmetal.com:443? I know XMetaL 8 is long in the tooth.

- Is there a way to verify that the license server is reachable from his location? He is overseas.

Thanks
pmasal

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »

XMetaL Support helped McAfee with this issue, which is fixed in XMetaL9+ (our situation is likely similar to yours - we plan to upgrade soon, but can't right now). We were seeing one or both of the following during XMetaL8 installs:

* Registration failed - *request refused by* licensing server.
    This was an issue with recent Windows security updates preventing the install program from running one or more licensing web services.
    A temporary workaround allows the install program to circumvent those security updates (applies only to the install, then things can go back to normal).  I can send the procedure to you offline, if you like.

* Registration failed - *could not connect to* licensing server.
    This was an issue with Windows proxy settings, which was fixed by updating those settings in IE Tools | Internet Options.

Hope this helps...
Paul Masalsky
McAfee
huntley

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »

Hi Paul,

If you don't mind, I would like to take a look at your workaround for the Windows security update. I think you know my email address :-)

As far as I know, we aren't using a proxy server but I can check the user's settings to verify.

Several U.S-based users haven't had any issue with the licensing server so I suppose it could be locale-based.

Thanks,
-Huntley
lxsibi

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »

We had two issues with * Registration failed - *could not connect to* licensing server

1) This message appeared not during registration, but when opening an XML file from our content management system which we have been editing files in XMetaL for awhile.

We resolved it by re-installing XMetaL. Should this happen again, what would be a better solution than re-installing?

2) We have translators residing in Japan who are trying to register their XMetaL license. Could you provide instructions how to update the settings in IE?

Thank you.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us