Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Cannot open XMetaL: Runtime error after successful installation  (Read 804 times)
rinskevdbijl

« on: October 03, 2016, 10:32:10 AM »

I had XMetaL installed on my workstation but had to reinstall it after upgrading to a new workstation.

I installed XMetaL with the correct installation file and the installation was successful. However, when trying to open the program, a dialog box displays with a Runtime Error:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »

This is going to be one of three issues:

1) The installation is broken.
2) Something you install that modifies or extends the XMetaL Author capabilities (a CMS integration or other 3rd party extension or your own customizations) is broken or incompatible with the version you are running.
3) Some portion of Windows is broken.

If you need additional help with this your best bet is to contact XMetaL Support so they can obtain additional details about your system.
rinskevdbijl

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »

1 - The installation file has been used to install XMetaL on my old workstation so I know the file itself is not broken

2 - XMetaL is the only authoring tool I've installed so far - all extending applications need to build on it only after successful installation and I haven't proceeded to them yet.

3 - I've actually uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Visual C++ and even that didn't help.

I'm really desperate to find the answer to this issue. Thanks for your response.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »

For #1 I meant that the installation itself (not the "installer") might be broken. That would mean the installer finished but something either failed to install properly, something stopped it or interfered with the installation (changing files after they have been written), or something modified one or more files in the installation after the installation completed. That might include hard drive failure, temporary Windows file writing glitches, virus, etc.

If the installer itself was broken it would not run and Windows would display a message similar to "not a valid Win32 application". Our installers are signed and Windows also checks that signature to make sure the installer is OK.

Please contact XMetaL Support.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: