Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Large font displaying for menus and content  (Read 1090 times)
Miriam Lorente

« on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »

Hi,

XMetaL(R) Author Enterprise 6.0.1.030 is displaying all of the content in a large font, so I can only see a small portion of a page at a time. I’ve tried un-installing and re-installing the software, modifying the view options, etc. but nothing affects this. The screen shot I provide here attached is that actual size. Compare the menu font sizes with the content (within the tags) font size.

Any idea about the reason for that and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Miriam

* sample.png (234.79 KB, 1405x637 - viewed 157 times.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:34:13 AM by Miriam Lorente » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

The styling of your documents is controlled by the CSS file associated with the DTD or XSD (schema) associated with the XML file.
Miriam Lorente

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »

Apologies for this late answer.

It makes no sense, as my co-workers have no viewing issues when opening the same XML file after following the same installation process.

Any other ideas? It's really hard to work on complex files in a large font.

Also, this is not only affecting to XML file, but also menu options and Attribute and Element List panes. Menus can be fixed by re-starting XMetal, but I haven't found any workaround for file.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »

The UI of the application is controlled by Windows Display settings.
The styling of XML files is controlled by the CSS file associated with your DTD.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Have you checked to see that you are using an identical CSS file to your colleagues?

If you still feel that with all the same files in place you are seeing different behaviour please contact XMetaL Support and provide a copy of the files you are installing (at minimum this includes a DTD/XSD, CSS, and CTM files) together with a sample XML file. Also include the exact path for where you are placing them. They can then tell you exactly what is happening.

Styling can be affected programmatically as well (effectively overriding any settings in the CSS file by setting CSS settings using APIs) so if your installation includes any MCR files send those as well.

Keep in mind that official support is provided for the current release and one full version back so XMetaL Support would be testing your files against version 11. The fundamentals of CSS styling have not changed since version 1 however so there are unlikely to be any differences in behaviour (at least from what you describe) between version 6 and 11, especially since you say your colleagues have no issues. That suggests very strongly that your installations are different and that it is just a matter of identifying what is unique to your particular set of files.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:23:42 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »

I see from your screen capture that you appear to be using the SDL CMS (the clue is that SDL customizes the XMetaL Author Enterprise UI and adds a menu named "SDL" or perhaps "SDL Trisoft" in this version).

SDL delivers the authoring customization for your XML files (this includes the CSS file in addition to the DTD and other files) to your system from the CMS. XMetaL Author Enterprise provides a full authoring customization for working with DITA documents but SDL takes portions of that customization and stores it in the CMS. The CMS then pushes these files down to your system when you check out an XML file.

You would need to discuss this issue with tech support at SDL as their system has full control over how these files are delivered to XMetaL Author Enterprise, which files are delivered and their contents.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:40:26 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Miriam Lorente

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

Thanks a lot for your help Derek.

I'll contact tech support at SDL and get back here, hopefully to explain the solution to the error.

Regards,
Miriam
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: