Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMAX 5.5 don't need client installation ?!?  (Read 7956 times)
okuessner

« on: June 26, 2009, 04:01:19 AM »

Hello,

I have a question to the XMAX product family. As I know from history in version 4.6 it was necessary to have a client installation to use XMAX in my web-application. Please correct me when I am wrong.

Is it correct that this is no longer necessary since version 5.5? So I don't need any installation on client side when I use XMAX 5.5 in my web-application.

Greets,
Oliver
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:41:43 PM by okuessner » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »

XMAX is a standard Windows ActiveX control that requires installation on the client machine to use. There is nothing different in this respect between the 4.x and 5.x releases.

You can install XMAX two ways:
1) By running a standard (InstallShield-based) Windows *.exe installer. It is possible to run this in silent mode so that you can incorporate the installation into another installer (as part of a VB application for example).
2) By configuring a web page to include an <object> element that references the CAB version of the installer served from a web server and then visiting that page using Internet Explorer.
okuessner

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »

Hi Derek,

thank you for your answer.

Maybe we did something wrong in the past but we have the XMAX ActiveX component integrated into our web-application. Additionally it's necessary to install a client installtion in our citrix environment for every user.

If I understand this correctly it's not necessary to have both. It's enough to have the ActiveX component integrated into my web-application. First time when a author visit the web-application - the ActiveX will be installed and the author can use the XMetal editor.

Is this correct?

Greetings,
Oliver
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »

That is correct. Once it is installed via either method the control should be available to any application that requires it. This may be trickier with Citrix.

I'm not an expert with Citrix and I'm not sure of all the intricacies of configuring that type of system for multiple users, however, if each user is hitting a web server and having the CAB version installed they would all have their own copy, provided Internet Explorer installs it correctly.
okuessner

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »

Hi Derek,

thank you very much for your answer.

I detected the "XMetal Express for EMC Documentum" product on your web site. I think this is the relevant solution for me because I use XMetal within the EMC Documentum Webtop.

But for this solution the same question: If I have XMetal Express integrated into my Webtop - is it necessary to have a installation on client site?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,
Oliver
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »

This product is configured to deliver XMAX using the CAB installation method supported by Internet Explorer for ActiveX components. Your users will simply need to hit the web server once for XMAX to be installed. This doesn't negate the installation, it just makes it transparent to the user. Ultimately, the copy of the xmcontrol.dll (XMAX) that is installed is the same thing, the installation process is just handled (and managed) by Internet Explorer in this case.
okuessner

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:50:48 AM »

Hi Derek,

thanks again for the information. I found the following info from the Documentum documentation:

In addition, there are third-party integrations with Documentum’s XML functionality,
including Corel XMetal and Arbortext Epic, which allow users to interact with the
repository through the application. These third-party integrations require installation of
Documentum Desktop on client workstations.

It's from Documentum 5.3 SP1.

This is what I mean with the client installation.

Is it correct that this "Documentum Desktop" installation is no longer necessary? Therefore it's necessary to have the Documentum Connector from JustSystems.

Greets,
Oliver

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »

Documentum (EMC) no longer provides this version of their product. The "Desktop Client" they refer to has been deprecated in favour of their "Webtop" solution.

We offer two solutions at the moment that integrate with Documentum:

1. "XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop"
For this you install XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop on each users machine. It is configured to connect to a Documentum server via their Webtop technology. Then you install additional code (included with the package) onto your Documentum Webtop server to enable the server to communicate with XMetaL Author Enterprise. There is no need for XMAX in this solution.

2. "XMetaL Express for Documentum Webtop"
This solution is installed entirely on the Documentum Webtop server, however, it deploys a copy of XMAX to the end user's machine using the CAB method via Internet Explorer when your user visits the Documentum server. It is means to provide occasional contributors such as engineers, marketing professionals and managers a lightweight interface to easily edit existing content. In general, documents would be authored using XMetaL Author Enterprise. Though XMAX could be configured and used to do this, the experience will not be as nice as using XMetaL Author Enterprise. The main point here is that it is a lightweight solution that anyone with a copy of IE can access from anywhere and that it is meant for infrequent content contributors that do not need the full power of XMetaL Author Enterprise.

You should contact our sales team as they will be able to help you decide which solution is best for you based on your needs and requirements and can also answer questions about pricing, system requirements, etc.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: