Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: User word list  (Read 2779 times)
rramirezb

« on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:41 AM »

Hello,

I work in the Technical Publications department of my company. We use XMetal to create DITA content and recently discovered that I can use the Spell Checker functionality to control the vocabulary (we use Simplified Technical English—STE—in our documentation). What I found out so far is that I can add non-approved words to a UWL list and when the Spell Checker is used it prompts to replace the words in the list.
The problem is that I have hundreds of entries between the STE, the exception list and the technical terms. Is there an "easiest" or "more automated" way to create the UWL file? Or the only way is to introduce the words one by one in XMetal?

Thanks and regards,
Robert Ramirez
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »

There is no automated way to add "non-approved" words to the UWL.

Adding words that want to allow is easy but does not apply to your case (things that you consider correct that the spell checker does not). In that case you can simply add all the words to a single file (any XML file), launch the spell checker, click the Add button once, then hold down the Enter key to repeatedly add all the others.

There is no quick way that is similar for adding "non-approved" words. This will require several mouse clicks or shortcut key presses for every word. There is also no way to add such words to a UWL file directly using any software that JustSystems can provide (nor do I know of any 3rd party solutions).

An alternative solution you might look into is to add a macro that performs an additional check on your document before saving or before validating (this is general a good times to let the user know there is content in the document that they should avoid feeding into the rest of your system). There is an example of this with the Journalist demo that checks for a specific email format for its "Email" element using the On_Check_Element_SimpleContent event macro. That event only works for elements that allow *only* PCDATA are encountered (not elements that allow mixed content). If you need to check elements with mixed content you would need to use another event and then walk the entire node tree yourself, or put the entire document into a string, or similar.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

We also have a number of partners that offer solutions that aid with creating STE while writing content with XMetaL Author. The list is here (not everyone on that list offers STE solutions): http://xmetal.com/partners-solution/
rramirezb

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »

Many thanks for the reply Derek.
I will try with one of the partners.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us