Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetaL 9 spell check issue on resume  (Read 8251 times)
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« on: December 12, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »

Dear JustSystems, I am supporting a client with XMetaL upgrade from version 4 to 9 (together with a Documentum upgrade). A heavily used function in this client's environment is XMetaL's spell check. This is done in combination with Universal Word Lists. In version 9, we have found an issue during spell check, which did not exist in version 4. The issue can be reproduced as follows:

1. Start checking the spelling in an XML document
2. Perform a few replacements/skips, so that you are busy at a certain position within the document
3. Keep the spell check open, go to another position in the document and change the contents (of an XML element) there
4. Resume the spell check

Instead of resuming from the position where the spell check was interrupted, a fresh spell check is initiated from the beginning of the document.

Is this a known issue? Can you please help with a solution.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »

This is not a known issue.

A large number of changes have been made to the software over the last 10 years, so I'm not sure if this feature can be restored exactly to what this client is used to, but I will raise it with development in case there is something that can be done.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »

Thanks Derek!

It will help us greatly! The spell checker of XMetaL is an important feature. At this client, it is also seen as a major strength of XMetaL, irreplaceable by any other XML editor.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »

I installed and tested the oldest version of 4 that I can locate: 4.0.4.430 (4.0 SP4). I have also tried version 4.6 SP2 (the last version of 4 before we released 5). Neither of these have the feature you are describing as far as I can tell.

The "Resume" button will return to the previous selection if you move the selection around during spell checking but only if you don't change the document. That is the same in all versions of XMetaL Author I have tested and it is the feature that I am familiar with.

Just to be thorough I have also looked at version 3 (specifically 3.1.3.053). It does not have a Resume button and the UI is completely different. This is because the 3.x and earlier releases used a completely different spell checking engine. We were sold to Corel about that time and incorporated their spell checking engine into our 4.0 release (and when we were subsequently sold by Corel we were granted rights to continue to incorporate it). That means version 4 was the first to use this engine but I don't think it was possible to make every feature work that may have worked in their other products.

Is it possible the client is remembering this same feature from another Corel product, perhaps Corel's WordPerfect?

I have logged this in our tracking system. If we have old code that supported this then it might be possible to restore it (which in theory might be easier) but if it never did support this then it is possible that implementing the feature would be quite difficult given the other things the software needs to support (mostly with regard to the state of the document at any one time).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:17:33 PM by Derek Read » Logged
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 02:19:17 AM »

Hi Derek,

I appreciate your prompt reply to my query a lot, thanks for that!

I will request the concerned users to double-check again in the version 4 environment.

Best regards,

Amarjit
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 07:11:17 AM »

Hi Derek,

I have sat together with the user and witnessed the behavior in both versions (4 and 9) personally.

The Resume feature is meant to do what its name suggests: resume from where one was before the interruption. In version 4, this works very well (see attached transcript/screenshots). In version 9, a mere cursor repositioning still works fine, the issue appears when you make a change at that position.

I have tried to see if the Writing Tools / Spell Checker option "Recheck All Text" could have something to do with this, but in vain. According to http://xmetal.com/webhelp/en/xmetalauthor/enterprise/7.0/concepts/Spell_checker_options.html, this seems like a relevant option. Checking and unchecking this seems to set a corresponding value in the registry. However, there is no noticeable effect on the behavior of the spelling checker.

Can you please have this investigated, and provide a fix.

* xmetal4_spellingcheck_resume.pdf (196.69 KB - downloaded 248 times.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:06:21 AM by asiciber » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:25:04 PM »

Which version of Windows are you testing on? Knowing that may help us narrow down the test parameters.

I had seen the setting you noted in our help, but not having used the feature regularly I've been assuming that the help itself was incorrect. That was very plausible since the spell checker is a separate system with its own source code (written originally by Borland then adapted by Corel and a tiny bit by us) and there are some features it supports that we cannot take advantage of in the context of an XML editor. I had been assuming this feature was not implemented, that the documentation was added without testing it, and that the UI for the setting was just left in place. If you are seeing the feature then that assumption is obviously wrong.

What you're saying is that you've seen the feature working in both 4 and 9? Or that you see it working in 4 but not in 9?
If it is working in 4 AND 9 for you then knowing what the difference between your machine and your user's machine (where it is not working) would be very helpful.

I still cannot reproduce the issue on any of my test machines, but have filed this as a defect for our developers to look into.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »

Thanks a lot for your attention, and for taking it up with your development team. The issue is present in version 9. In version 4, the resume feature is working fine. In version 9, it is working partly; a resume from an interruption, whereby the cursor was repositioned within a document, works OK. However, if you edit something and then resume, the spelling checker jumps back to the beginning of the document.

We have reproduced the issue in Windows 7 Enterprise as well as Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 environments.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »

Hello, is there an update on handling of this issue. You stated earlier that it was submitted to your developers for evaluation. Thanks.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »

The closest we can get to what you are looking for is to select "To End of Document" from the dropdown labeled "Check:" in the spell checking dialog. With this option enabled the spell check will continue on from the current selection (which you are free to position anywhere). That is what Microsoft Word and most (perhaps all) other word processors, editors and XML editors that support spell checking do (in many cases by default or it is their only option).

Is that similar to the feature you feel was present in the older release?

We are still unable to replicate the behaviour you say was present in version 4 and there does not seem to be any code in the codebase that would allow for that behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:32:29 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »

A bit more information. The option "Recheck All Text" existed in the original Corel spell checking system (for various products) before we integrated it into our software starting with version 4 (shortly after Corel acquired the XMetaL product line). The way Corel coded up their UI makes it difficult to alter, and so our development team left the UI mostly as it was while connecting its underlying functionality into the XMetaL system.

Though being listed in our documentation (likely copied from the original Corel documentation, possibly from WordPerfect) this particular setting was never hooked into our system (so checking or unchecking that checkbox does not change any behaviour). There is a defect in our bug tracker asking that it either be removed or that the documentation let people know that it does nothing. This was originally noted by QA but no clients have contacted us about it (making it a very low priority defect).
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 04:04:48 AM »

So, what you are saying is that the Resume feature never produced the expected behavior, even in XMetaL 4, and it is not possible for your team to reproduce the same. Then the question is, what is causing the expected behavior in our installation of XMetaL 4? To be sure, we have scanned the customizations, but have not found anything, which reconfirms that it is part of the standard product (release 4).

We (the client) have already purchased licenses for XMetaL 9. It is fairly important for us, and we have to try our best to make it work. I am ready myself to test in the pre-release 9 software. Is it possible to access and download those releases from your archives?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

I don't have an answer for the behaviour you are seeing in version 4. All I can say is that I've tried it on various machines and cannot reproduce the feature, and that our developers tell me there is no code in the software that would provide the behaviour.

Our sales team can provide you with any version you need to look at back to version 6.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »

I have tested with the just-released XMetaL Author Enterprise 10, and I am pleased with the result. The resume function works as expected in the new release.

Can you please inform if a new release of the Documentum Webtop connector is also available? Or is the connector release 9 compatible with XMetaL Author Enterprise 10? Is Webtop 6.8 supported, if there is a new release of the connector?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

In theory the improvements and additions made to XMetaL Author Enterprise 10 should not require updates to the Documentum connector created for use with XMetaL Author Enterprise 9. However, testing has not been completed. I think we are likely several months away from announcing anything.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »

Webtop 6.8 compatibility is being looked at. This does require changes be made to our Documentum connector as Documentum updates to Webtop are rarely backward compatible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:52:00 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us