Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetaL - Documentum D2 integration  (Read 4824 times)
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »

I am supporting a customer with the renewal of their solution for scientific publishing in the Netherlands. The outdated solution is based on Documentum Desktop 5.2, Corel XMetal Author 4 and Corel MMetal-Documentum Integration. The new solution is based on Documentum 7.1 and preferably D2 4.2. I notice that XMetaL has not yet developed an integration solution for D2. The currently available solution is applicable to Documentum Webtop, and upto version 6.5, if I am not mistaken.

Are there any plans at JustSystems to support D2 in the future. If yes, what is the roadmap? Some references which hint at a possible integration:

https://community.emc.com/people/peggyr/blog/2012/01/31/documentum-d2-will-change-your-perspective-on-content-management

https://community.emc.com/community/edn/documentum/blog/2012/02/01/documentum-d2--shifting-the-balance-towards-agile-ecm

If we don't need a Documentum Resource Manager within XMetaL, do we still need to use a Documentum specific version of XMetaL? Or can we then use the standard XMetaL Author? Is it then able to understand and handle the XML application maintained in Documentum?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »

Our current solution for EMC Documentum is:

XMetaL Author Enterprise 9.0
XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop (specific integration for above)
Documentum Webtop 6.7 (only)

Anyone stuck on Webtop 6.5 SP1/SP2/SP3 or 6.6 cannot use this release (7.0 or 8.0 is required).

XMetaL Author Enterprise includes "XMetaL Connector" (note: did not exist with XMetaL Author 4). XMetaL Connector is a runtime bridge that allows XMetaL Author Enterprise to be integrated with any CMS in a standardized way and it also allows document-level customizations for XMetaL Author Enterprise to be written so that they will work with any CMS. The CMS (though its integration) talks to XMetaL Connector. The customization talks to XMetaL Author which decides when to delegate certain actions to XMetaL Connector.

For the most part this is important as soon as linking is involved, since CMS systems often make up their own scheme for linking. Some use id values, some use values that look like file paths, some use values that look like URLs, etc... Documentum uses a custom syntax EMC calls a DRL. XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop provides XMetaL Author Enterprise with the smarts to be able to deal with this custom syntax, including creating correctly formatted links to files during authoring (among others).

So, depending on what the customization for this client's schema does they may or may not lose functionality. If they don't use linking of any kind then it might be possible to get away without using it. However, that seems unlikely.

D2 is not supported at this time and we are still considering our options for Documentum since EMC has no further plans for Webtop. Because D2 is more about "configuration", it may not be possible for XMetaL Author Enterprise to be integrated with D2.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:25:41 PM by Derek Read » Logged
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »

Thanks for the information.

Is XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop an additional component that is installed on the workstation?

Regarding the links, it is expected at least that the editor is able to support the chunking defined through XML application configuration and virtual documents in Documentum.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »

Yes, XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop is a separate installer that is run after installing XMetaL Author Enterprise.

This might provide some helpful information: http://xmetal.com/content-xmetal-documentum

The JustSystems sales team can also set up a demo if you want to see it in action.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »

Thanks again!

I am setting up a proof-of-concept to see the fit with Documentum Webtop myself. For this, I am using an evaluation copy of XMetaL Author Enterprise 9.

However, I can't find on your web-site an evaluation download for XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop. Is it possible to obtain an evaluation copy of this software?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

The only download offered on the website is XMetaL Author Enterprise (which runs for 30 days if you don't have a license).

You need to go through the JustSystems sales people to obtain anything else.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:07 AM »

Thanks, I am in contact with the sales for that.

Can you please verify if Documentum Webtop 6.7 SP2 is supported? According to the read-me page for the connector (XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum Webtop), 6.7 SP2 is supported.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »

Yes, 6.7 SP2 is supported. In fact, with XMetaL Author Enterprise 9 it is the only (officially) supported version.
asiciber

ECM Consultant

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »

One last question. Is there any limitation w.r.t. the combination Documentum Webtop 6.7 SP2 and Documentum Content Server 7.0? These two are compatible according to Documentum rules.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »

The XMetaL Author Enterprise integration with Documentum communicates using Webtop only. As there is no direct communication with Documentum Content Server there should not be any compatibility issues either as far as I know.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us