Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMETAL Author 8.0 Licensing Error  (Read 5580 times)
sumamary

« on: June 11, 2014, 12:14:40 AM »

Hi Guys

I am new to XMetal and am stuck while trying to install XMetal on my machine.
Scenario: XMetalAuthor 8.0 already existing on the machine. The machine had to be formatted.
<License type="XMdLS">

Procedure Followed:

1. Uninstall XMetal 8.0 ( Did not Unregister  XMetal as I am tryng to reinstall the software on the same machine)  
2. Format the machine.
3.Run XMAU-ENTERPRISE-8.0.exe, the XMetaL installation file (downloaded from Just Systems Website)
4 Copy XMetaL.lic, the license file that is provided by Tech Comm manager to a folder on my computer.
5.Follow the prompts to extract the files and install the software
6.Start XMetal.
a Click I have a license file.
b Click Open registration file.
c Select XMetaL.lic. Information about the license appears in the XMetaL window.
d Click Register.
Error Message appears:Registration Failed. The request is refused by the Licensing Server

Alternatively, I have tried the option "My Company has licensing server"
Entered the Licensing server address details and Concurrent Department Account ID
Click Register.
Registration Failed: Unable to connect to Licensing server

Does this indicate a problem with licensing server.
Please suggest

Thanks
Suma

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:30:51 AM by sumamary » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »

The error you are getting when using the direct per seat method for registration (this is the most common type of licensing) indicates one of these issues:

1. All of your licenses are currently in use. To resolve this you would need to unregister one of your installations or obtain an additional license. To unregister, launch the software on the computer you no longer wish to use the software on, select Help > Licensing, then click the Unregister button.

2. You are using an outdated xmetal.lic file. For versions 7 and 8, anytime you change your licensing (by adding additional licenses for the same product or adding a new product) a new xmetal.lic file is issued. All older files become obsolete and can no longer be used.

3. You are trying to register a product for which you have no license. This could occur fairly easily if you have licenses for XMetaL Author Essential but have mistakenly installed XMetaL Author Enterprise (since Enterprise is available as a trial download on our website).

Your steps 1 and 2 say that you uninstalled the software without unregistering, then formatted your drive. This means the licensing information on your end has been lost (so that any new installations of the software will prompt to register) while the licensing information in our server shows that one of your licenses is still in use. Unless the computer is restored to the same state (via HDD imaging or similar) it was in before that license will have essentially been "lost". You will need to contact XMetaL Support to try to resolve this issue.

Since you seem to have "direct per seat" licenses the alternative you tried (to use concurrent licensing) won't work at all.

Note that none of these issues apply to versions of our software prior to 7 as an entirely different method of licensing was in place then. Nor do they apply to version 9 (all products) as licensing is no longer tracked by communicating with our servers.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:59:52 PM by Derek Read » Logged
sumamary

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:39 AM »

Hi Derek

Thanks much for the prompt reply which is very informative.

Please Claify...

1. I am a new hire in the company as a replacement to one of the writers. As per policy the drive has to be formatted and all the softwares are to be re-installed. As I am supposed to re-install XMetal on the same machine I did not Un Register. If I am not wrong, we Un Register the software when the machine needs to be changed.

2. Do u mean to say that the license information will be lost in both the cases---When you Uninstall the software and also Un Register the software

I have escalated this to Tech Comm Manager and contacted XMetal Support. Waiting for the response.

Thanks
Suma

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:13:59 AM by sumamary » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »

The registration software is limited in its ability to detect whether it is installed or not by checking settings it has saved on your local system. So, if you do not register before wiping your drive the license is lost. So, in your company you will need to make sure that you unregister all XMetaL software between versions 7 and 8 before wiping the drive. If you unregister before wiping the drive then that license will be freed for use on any computer, including the same physical machine, at some later date. But please still contact XMetaL Support so that they can help you.

Note that this public forum is not XMetaL Support. See About the Forum for clarification on that point.
sumamary

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »

Contacted XMetaL Support and the problem is resolved.

Thanks
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us