Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Xmetal Author Enterprise 8 Right click on misspelled word -spellings greyed out  (Read 3957 times)
ChristianM

« on: May 05, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »

Just upgraded from Xmetal 6.0 to 8.0 and am having issues with the spellcheck/dictionary/add word to word list right click menu. This is both with a clean install of Xmetal 8.0 and an install with customization.
Any misspelled word will give you the suggested correct spellings but all the options are greyed out in the right click menu and you cannot click the correct word or add a word to the Word List.
Manually highlighting a word and clicking the "abc check" button you are able to add to word list or replace the misspelled word though. Here is a screen shot from the default/no customizations added install of xmetal 8.0 and the greyed out suggested spellings/Add to My Word List. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:26:30 PM by ChristianM » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »

The only thing I can suggest is a complete reinstall.

1. Uninstall XMetaL Author Enterprise version 8.0.
2. We'll assume that a clean uninstall may not be possible, as the software appears to be broken, so use Windows Explorer to check if any of the following exist after uninstalling and remove them if they do:
  C:\Program Files\XMetaL 8\Author
   C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared
   C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Shared\XMetaL
   %appdata%\SoftQuad

3. Install XMetaL Author Enterprise.

Note: if you have installed the software on a 64-bit installation of Windows then "C:\Program Files" will be "C:\Program Files (x86)".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:37:51 PM by Derek Read » Logged
XMetaLOldTimer
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »

I suspect you don't have the latest 8.0 version.  Confirm the About Box version is 8.0.1.051.  If not, go get the software again from the same download link as before.  Then uninstall the current software and reinstall the newly download version.

Regards,
Addam

Addam Smith, XMetaL Project Lead & Architect
JustSystems Canada Inc.
ChristianM

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »

We have version update 8.0.0.034....
We were never actually notified of any version updates. It would be difficult to uninstall and install all 40+ users at this point so if I can find a fix before doing a company wide uninstall/reinstall it would be nice, but if it has to be done....
I have also done a full uninstall, deleted the folders stated, and reinstalled only to find the program still does not do spell check. Is there some line that I am missing in the xmetal80.ini? This is what is present in it currently, which does cover some spelling options:

[XMetal]
REVIEWER=stopped
XMUAR=stopped
max_recursion_level=10
WT_ENGLISH_BRITISH=EN-UK;EN-GB
spell_show_suggestions=false
spell_auto_correct=false
spell_as_you_type=true
runtime_spell_checking=true
html_browser0=
default_author_name=Kaman
show_structure_view_by_default=false
uber_setting_mode=per_user
enable_advanced_debugging=false
enable_logging=false
on_application_run_once=true
XMetaLOldTimer
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

No, it is not related to a missing INI variable.  These right-click menu items were disabled due to a coding error inside the xmetal80.exe. 

I don't think Sales notifies customers when Development makes minor updates to a software release.  But Support will direct customers to get the latest download when reporting an issue and/or running older software is detected.

Regards,
Addam

Addam Smith, XMetaL Project Lead & Architect
JustSystems Canada Inc.
ChristianM

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply. I will get the updated version and post back with my findings. Thanks!!
ChristianM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »

Welp, that point update did in fact fix the issue. A little bummed Just Systems never notified anyone of the point release update, and there is no easy update path aside from uninstall/reinstall, but it is what it is. This has us looking at xmetal 9 instead though now.

Anyways, thank you so much for your help, XMetalOldTimer!
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: