Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Cleaning out the "Browse for a DTD Display"  (Read 1917 times)
Emily S

« on: February 24, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »

Hi! I'm working with XmetaL Author Editor 7.0, and I use multiple DTDs.  We have our files set up so that we  associate them with the correct DTD whenever we open them to edit. (Long story, but that's what we do.)

When I get the "Rules not specified" pop up window, I choose the "Browse for a Rules File" option.  
Then I open the "File name" drop down at the bottom, where all my previously-selected DTDs helpfully display.

My question:
How do I ***clear out*** that list of previously-selected DTDs, so that I can keep only the ones I want showing, and keep the very infrequently-used ones from cluttering things up?

Thank you!  
Emily Sweeney
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:48:13 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »

What you are doing is really not a great idea, but it also sounds like you have decided for whatever reason that you wish to continue to work this way. I would strongly recommend setting things up using one of the following methods instead as it would make things a lot easier (particularly if you have multiple people using the software):
a) alter your SYSTEM ids so they point to your DTD,
b) or include a PUBLIC id and then create a catalog file containing mappings from PUBLIC to SYSTEM id values,
c) or place your DTDs into the Rules subfolder (this is where XMetaL Author looks failing all other options). This is the easiest option for most people in your situation as it requires no changes to your XML or the use of a catalog.
There are other options, including a scripting solution, but these are the simplest. Detailed information on how XMetaL Author locates schemas (DTD and XSD) is available here:
http://www.slideshare.net/XMetaL/deploying-schemas-and-xmetal-customization-files

Having said that, you can mess with the registry values inside the following key if you really want to, but be careful. These values are not set directly by XMetaL Author itself, they are set by Windows. XMetaL Author uses a standard Windows file browsing dialog for this functionality and it is that dialog that is doing the read/writes here.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\dtd
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: