Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: customizing stylesheet  (Read 6815 times)
ramu

« on: December 09, 2013, 02:46:34 AM »

Hello every one.

I am doing some customization task. I have modified teamcenter style sheet and applied to my xml file and got output as per my requirement. But i have to perform some more task to get full output. That is i have to link the style sheet to the DTD file (xmetal). (i have to apply some logical operations for acquiring automated test.   )

Ex. my page number column looks like this ----------TM-01-01-00-01

Here TM-manual name.(doesn't change through out the document)
        01-chapter-1(depends on the manual. Generally we have multiple chapters)
         01-sections( multiple sections in chapter)
         00-subsections
         01 -page number

the dtd file i am using is C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\dtd\ditabase.dtd

is this path is correct to make modifications.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »

If all you are doing is making modifications to the CSS used for authoring then add any overrides into end of the CSS file in the folder for the specific topic type you wish to change the styling for. For example, if you are authoring to the DITA 1.2 spec, to modify the CSS for "task" do it here (assuming you are using the 8.0 release):
C:\Program Files\XMetaL 8.0\Author\DITA\XACs\1.2\task\task.css

To make changes that affect all topic types add overrides to one of these files:

C:\Program Files\XMetaL 8.0\Author\DITA\XACs\1.2\ditabase\ditabase-base-override.css
C:\Program Files\XMetaL 8.0\Author\DITA\XACs\1.2\ditabase\ditabase-derived-override.css

Keep in mind that standard CSS cascading rules apply. In the case of my earlier example the main CSS file for task is C:\Program Files\XMetaL 8.0\Author\DITA\XACs\1.2\task\task.css. If you open that file you will see which other files are imported and in which order. In all cases you want whichever selector you create to be loaded last and be at least as specific as the selector that it is overriding.

If you are working with XMetaL Author Enterprise and authoring DITA you should not be modifying the DITA DTDs directly. What you've stated suggests that might be what you are considering. That is not supported. You can "specialize" the DITA DTDs and that is fully supported. If you have a specialized DITA DTD then follow the instructions in the help (F1) under Working with DITA >  DITA Specializations. That discusses how to configure XMetaL Author Enterprise to recognize your specialized DITA DTD.

All of the above applies to an installation where a CMS is not being used. If you are using a CMS then you should follow any instructions provided by the CMS vendor for their integration with XMetaL Author Enterprise. CMS integrations with XMetaL often have specific requirements. Some of them store XMetaL "customizations" in the CMS itself and deploy them to your local machine and in that case you will need to make modifications to the copies of any files stored in the CMS rather than the local copies.
ramu

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:39 AM »

I am really confused with this css and dtd's. let me explain my need.

in my style sheet(teamcenter cms stylesheet) i have modified some sections. now there is need to write logic in style sheet that should call function within xmetal files.  If am not clear, i can show you this through webex.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

After your further explanation (after submitting a case to XMetaL Support) we now understand that you are making changes to the DITA Open Toolkit's XSLT files in order to customize PDF output. The confusion here stems from the use of the term "stylesheets" to mean both CSS and XSLT.

My explanation assumed the former (CSS), which is used by XMetaL Author for displaying your XML files during authoring (only).

Making modifications to the XSLT that drives the DITA Open Toolkit is something you should consider hiring expert help for if you do not have someone in house with XSLT expertise. In addition to understanding XSLT, if your output is PDF then that person will also need to have some understanding of XSL-FO. The DITA Open Toolkit uses your DITA inputs (map and topics) together with XSLT to generate XSL-FO which in turn is passed to the PDF rendering engine (probably Apache FOP or RenderX XEP, though Antenna House is also supported) to produce a PDF.
ramu

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »

But where this xslt files are located????

I am doing modifications for composite type.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »

When you generate output which "deliverable" do you select?
There are several different PDF deliverables and each uses different XSLT files (and different XSL-FO to PDF engines).
ramu

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »

Xmetal enhanced PDF via RenderXXEP
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »

XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 deploys and runs the DITA OT from here:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT

The XSLT files you will need to modify are probably all in this folder:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\plugins\xmfo

If you will be setting this up for multiple users please also read these topics:
http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,237.0.html
http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,224.msg687.html#msg687
ramu

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »

Hi derek,

I am followed the path what you specified. But In my dita OT folder, there is no file named Plugins...
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »

You must have an older version than 8.0. The DITA OT was reorganized with the release of DITA OT 1.7 and we included 1.7 with our 8.0 release of XMetaL Author Enterprise.

This is why it is useful to specify which version of the software that you are running (look here for information on obtaining version numbers: about the forum).

In your case look in this folder for the XSLT:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\demo\xmfo
ramu

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »

Only Fo folder exists in my case. No  xmfo folder.

Xmetal version:5.1
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: