Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Limitations of XMetaL 8.0 trial version  (Read 3850 times)
MarcB

« on: November 20, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »

Are there limitations in the use of the 30-day trial version?
I am marketing XMetaL to a writer who uses Framemaker with DITA/FMx, but after installing the trial 8.0 version on Win7, he gets a "Declaration: Line 64" error when trying to access Tools > Configure output, his Advanced Output Options field is empty, and when attempting to generate output, the list of delivery types is also empty.
I deleted his Roaming/Softquad folder, but to no avail: same error.
I can't find fault with his installation, so was wondering if is has to do with the fact that it is a trial version.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:49:50 AM »

XMetaL Author Enterprise running in trial mode has three differences. Other than these things the software runs identically to a licensed installation:
1. Each time you launch the software it will display a dialog box telling you how many days are left in the trial. This dialog allows you to continue the trial or register the software.
2. A sample DITA map and the first topic from the map will always open when you launch the software.
3. The copy of RenderX XEP installed for use with the DITA Open Toolkit will run in trial mode. It will put the RenderX logo on the bottom of each page in any PDF files generated and pages after page 12 will be blank.

XMetaL Author Essential running in trial mode has two differences:
1. Each time you launch the software it will display a dialog box telling you how many days are left in the trial. This dialog allows you to continue the trial or register the software.
2. A sample document will always open when you launch the software.
Note: Neither the trial nor licensed version of XMetaL Author Essential include RenderX XEP.

XMetaL Developer
running in trial mode has the following difference:

XMAX (XMetaL for ActiveX):
This product has no trial version.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »

I'll check if this particular issue is a known one when I get into the office later today.
Please let us know what the version number is from Help > About...
MarcB

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »

Hi Derek, it's XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 Service Pack 1
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

Is that the exact error message? I can't locate anything in our bug tracking system that looks similar. Even a search for "64" in full descriptions of bugs turns up nothing relevant.

What are the exact steps the client is performing?

Given the symptoms you describe it sounds like something is stopping XMetaL Author Enterprise from reading and writing to the following folder (but that would also cause many other problems because all kinds of different files are written here):
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL\8.0

Options specified in the Configure Output dialog are written to this file:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL\8.0\print_local.xml

The only thing I can think of that might block read/writes to files in this folder would be some kind of aggressive virus scanning application or similar security software or settings.
MarcB

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »

The exact error message is: "<[Declarations), Line 64>".
The error box allows us to Continue, but when we then click on the Advanced tab of the output configurations, we get this:

<[Declarations), Line 768>
'ignoreNameArray.length' is null or not an object

I also notice an additional folder created next to XMetaL and XMetaL Shared: Appdata/Roaming/Softquad/XMetaL XMXML. It contains subfolder gen and log, both empty.
We have set the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation registry entry to 0, but the error persists.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »

This is a good clue. Not sure if we can track this down based on it but I'll try.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

The failure at this line suggests that MSXML (specifically version 4.0 or higher) cannot be loaded. We can reproduce this error when we purposefully break the code to call a non-existent ActiveX control. MSXML is Microsoft's XML parser.

XMXML is our own XML parser, similar to MSXML but with advanced features that include all of the XMetaL APIs. In this particular case the issue being raised is due to MSXML though, no XMXML. It would be difficult to run Windows without MSXML being present, so we suspect something may be purposefully stopping it from being used with XMetaL Author.
MarcB

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:37:57 AM »

We saw on the Control Panel that MSXML 4.0 was installed, but the MSXML folder in Program Files (86) was empty. So we downloaded and installed MSXML for Win7 (MSXML 4.0 SP3).
It seems to have solved the problem, we can now see and customize output options without error.
So thanks for that hint.

On another colleague's PC, the Program Files (86)/MSXML folder is also empty, but everything works fine for him.
Well, I don't pretend to understand these things, and I'm not going to ask :-)

Thanks again, Derek.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

I'm not sure exactly why Microsoft creates the C:\Program Files\MSXML <version>\ folders, but that is not where MSXML is installed. Some versions of MSXML include a EULA and it is placed in that folder though. MSXML is considered a Windows system file and as such the various versions of MSXML are located in C:\Windows\System32.

It could be that it was there all along but somehow broken. Either way, running the MSXML 4.0 installer would have either installed and registered it or repaired the broken copy. If you look in C:\Windows\System32 on each person's machine you should find one of more DLLs beginning with "msxml" in there.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: