Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Cannot Generate PDF in XMetaL8 that I Could Generate in XMetaL6  (Read 2571 times)
edwardwoodward

« on: November 12, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Hello,
Using XMetaL Author Enterprise 8, having just upgraded from V6 (both Japanese).
I tried generating PDF for 3 projects that I compiled successfully in V6. One compiles, but two end with the following error:
<log_line>
[java] ERROR: Element 'fo:page-sequence' cannot be a child of 'fo:block'. Only block-level or inline-level elements are permitted in this context.</log_line><log_line>
[java] Rendering failed: Invalid XSL FO source 'file:/F:/DITA/guidelines/user/XMetaL/pdf_out/topic.fo': 1 error found during validation</log_line>

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? The source files haven't been touched in the period between the last succcessful PDF generation and the upgrade to V8.

Cheers.
barbwire

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »

Obviously you have (or somebody have) modified XSL which makes the fo-file. You can not put fo:page-sequence inside fo:block. You have to put fo:block inside fo:page-sequence
edwardwoodward

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I asked around and found out that 2 xsl files were changed when using V6 (to force dlentry to be displayed on a separate line).

The files compile using the original and changed xsl files in V6. The files don't compile using the original or changed xsl files in V8. I compared the error logs for both attempts in V8 - they are identical. This suggests to me that something else has changed in V8 - tolerance of format errors perhaps.

The 2 changed xsl files are as follows:
~\Application Data\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\plugins\xmfo\Customization\fo\attrs\xm-cfg\tables-attr.xsl

Changed:
<xsl:attribute name="margin">3pt 3pt 3pt 3pt</xsl:attribute>
To:
<xsl:attribute name="margin">3pt 3pt 3pt 10pt</xsl:attribute>

and:
~\Application Data\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\plugins\xmfo\xsl\fo\tables.xsl

Changed:
<xsl:include href="../../cfg/fo/attrs/tables-attr.xsl"/>
To:
<xsl:include href="../../Customization/fo/attrs/xm-cfg/tables-attr.xsl"/>

and deleted the following 2 lines:
</fo:table-row>
<fo:table-row xsl:use-attribute-sets="dlentry" id="{@id}">

edwardwoodward

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »

Just to make something clear.
I don't think this is connected to the changed xsl files. I have just reinstalled V8 (deleting DITA OT, shared folders, etc). The files do not compile. A colleague is using V6: the files compile with and without the changed xsl files.
I now have 2 manuals of about 100 topics each that I can't compile. "Something" in them was allowed in V6 and is not allowed in V8. Can anybody help?
barbwire

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »

Just to make something clear.
I don't think this is connected to the changed xsl files. I have just reinstalled V8 (deleting DITA OT, shared folders, etc). The files do not compile. A colleague is using V6: the files compile with and without the changed xsl files.
I now have 2 manuals of about 100 topics each that I can't compile. "Something" in them was allowed in V6 and is not allowed in V8. Can anybody help?
Well, I will make something clear too. That error message, what you posted on the first message clearly states, that the error comes from the xsl-file, which makes fo.
edwardwoodward

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

Well, I will make something clear too. That error message, what you posted on the first message clearly states, that the error comes from the xsl-file, which makes fo.

Thank you. So the question now is, what has changed between V6 and V8? One or more of the xsl files? Or the way XMetal (or just the PDF engine) handles the fo?

I went through the ditamap, deleting chunks and attempting to recompile. Eventually I found that a single topic was causing the problem. This is a glossary topic (with 2 glossentry elements) in the backmatter. When this is removed, the rest compiles. The topic itself is valid in V8. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us