Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: New Bookmaps Cannot be Saved, Cause Error  (Read 3204 times)
awdonald

« on: October 02, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »

Whenever I create a new DITA bookmap file or open a previously created one and attempt to save it, I receive a run-time error stating that "'Encoding' is undefined". The only work around I can manage is deleting the encoding="UTF-8" segment from the bookmap so that XMetaL defaults to that same value anyway. Unfortunately, I can't do this for new bookmaps and I am completely unable to create them.

Coworkers have no issues creating, opening, or saving bookmaps with the 'encoding=' value present, so I have to assume that the issue is with my own settings. What could be causing this error and how can I resolve it?

Thanks.

* Run-Time_Error_Encoding.jpg (8.06 KB, 332x182 - viewed 434 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »

We really need to know which version you are running.

Please also let me know if you are using the bookmap templates that we ship with XMetaL Author Enterprise (in the Template subfolder and accessed via File > New) or if you are using something else.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:56:28 PM by Derek Read » Logged
awdonald

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

I'm using XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 (SP1) and I'm using the default bookmap templates that shipped with XMetaL Author.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »

We released a version of XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 around May 2013 and I have confirmed that it has this issue. Few people saw this problem because it was caught by our QA team and a new release issued right away.

You will need to obtain the current release of 8.0, uninstall the version you have, then install the current release.

The issue is inside a script file that is part of the map editor. Note that the XMetaL Author Enterprise version number that appears in Help > About... will be the same because the issue is external to the XMetaL Author binary (xmetal80.exe).

Locate the email you received from our sales team that includes the download information for XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0. You can use the same link for the installer. It should take you to the current one (the old one with this bug is no longer available for download).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:33:08 PM by Derek Read » Logged
awdonald

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »

That resolved the issue. Thank you!
edwardwoodward

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:43:28 PM »

Hello,

With regard to this, we just received a CD with 5 licences. We ordered the Japanese version, but received the English version and what's more it has this "issue". We now have to wait for another CD to be sent.

You might want the people responsible to make a more thorough check of your inventory. We certainly do.

Just saying.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »

We no longer send out CDs. I can only guess that what you obtained might have come from one of our partner resellers.

If so, please follow up with them to make sure they provide you with the version you require.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:40:21 PM by Derek Read » Logged
edwardwoodward

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:44 AM »

I wish you could get your Japanese sellers to follow suit. A replacement  CD arrived this morning, and it turns out it has a bug relating to keyref. Seems we might get a download this time.
We've also had numerous problems with the licences (i.e. you deregister then uninstall from one machine but the licence server still tells you you've used up your quota of licences when you try to install elsewhere).
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: