Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: PDF Output for constrained DTD's  (Read 2709 times)
AHM

« on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:56 AM »

I experience a problem with the output generation for constrained DTDs.

I followed the steps described in the tutorial at http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,1123.0.html, with the exception that I copied the files to C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\dtd\technicalContent\dtd\, as suggested in the Webinar "Custom XML through DITA Specialization" (http://www.slideshare.net/XMetaL/custom-xml-through-dita-specialization-in-xmetal) and also modified the catalog-dita_template.xml file in C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT.

The files open and validate successfully in XMetaL Enterprise 7.0 and the constraint works as expected.
However, when I try to generate a PDF rendition for a DITA map with a few example files, only the cover page is created and in the log file the following error message appears:
Code:
[gen-list] Processing D:\Constraints_Tutorial_Dec_1_2010\Concept2.xml
[gen-list] [DOTJ013E][ERROR] Failed to parse the referenced file 'Concept2.xml' due to the following exception. Please correct the input based on the following message from the XML parser:
[gen-list] D:\Constraints_Tutorial_Dec_1_2010\constrainedConcept.dtd (The system cannot find the file specified)

It seems like Xerces expects the DTD to reside in the same folder as the XML file, completely ignoring the public ID and its definition in catalog-dita_template.xml.
As a matter of fact, as soon as I copy the DTD and MOD files into the same folder as the XML files, the output is generated properly.

Did I forget something, modified the wrong file(s) or is this a known issue? In the webinar Su-Laine mentioned issues with the integration of the example plugin in the Open Toolkit publishing system. Is that the case with documents referencing constrained DTD's too and is there a solution/workaround?

Thanks in advance!
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

You need to use the DITA OT's own catalog system to help it find the DTDs. It has two catalog files, one is a template and one is generated based on the template. Pretty sure you need to modify the template copy. Some people also find it easier to put a copy of their own DTD files into the DITA OT location so that it is easier to set up the paths, but I don't think that is necessary as long as all of the references resolve.
ramu

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »

Hi

I  am facing a problem in generating output in pdf format. The generating process is success. But when we open the pdf file only title page is generating.( i am trying to generate a ditamap). all other sections in that ditamap is missing.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

@ramu:

I don't think your message belongs in this thread, but anyway...

Open one of the DITA samples from the Help > Samples menu and try to generate output from that.

If that works then there is something in your DITA files that is triggering the issue. Try to troubleshoot this by opening the output log file and looking for errors in there that you can fix (File > View Output Log). Alternatively, submit your DITA files to XMetaL Support so they can try to figure out what the DITA Open Toolkit doesn't like about them. This assumes you have not altered the DITA Open Toolkit. XMetaL Support does not help clients debug changes they have made to the DITA OT, so testing will be done using an unmodified installation.

If that doesn't work then something in the DITA Open Toolkit has been altered to the point where it is broken. If you have made changes on purpose you will need to have the person that made these changes correct them (this will be in the XSLT that generates the XSL-FO). The output log file should also help here as it will list some errors with XSLT files so that you can at least figure out where to begin looking.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us