Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Did you test XMetal Activex Control against IE8, IE9?  (Read 3632 times)
sreenaiah

« on: February 06, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »

Hi

I am using Activex control in a webpage, loaded my document in “Tags On view” edit mode, when I select an element I am able to move up/down within the collection just by using my mouse.  This is working very well when I target my web page in IE7, but when I load the same web page in IE8 it does not work. Same code, no changes in my web page except switching the browser between IE7, IE8.

Note: I am using the XMetal 5.5

We wasted lot of time on this issue as a team to troubleshoot; could someone from the technical team help us please?

Thanks
Srini G
SGundeboina@DataRecognitionCorp.com
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

XMAX 5.5 (which stopped being supported when XMAX 7.0 was released) was never tested with IE8 or IE9 because these browser versions did not exist at the time.

Please try XMAX 7.0 (the current release). If your issue(s) are still reproducible please submit a support case(s) to XMetaL Support. Include all files needed to reproduce the issue and detailed reproduction steps as well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:41:01 PM by Derek Read » Logged
sreenaiah

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

Thank you very much Derek for your quick response.

Yes, I did test with XMetal 7.0 ActiveX control as well and here are my findings:
With IE7 + XMetal 7.0 + My Web page - its working great as expected
With IE8 + XMetal 7.0 + My Web page (same page no changes) -it does not work as expected.
I am just loading some simple xml content into the XMetal Editor in my web page, switching on to  “Tags On view”  tab and I am seeing followjng 3 issues:
1)   Unable to move up/down/drag elemnts
2)   While editing the test between the elements, its lagging too much (very slow responsive)
3)   When I select a root/parent element, its highlighting the whole collection of children as well, then to select a child inside the selected collection, I need to double click on it instead of single click.

Because of the 2nd issue (lagging), our business team is having frustration and unable to continue what they are doing. Please let me know what should I do next; I already created a support request in XMetal Support page but no one was responded (JustSystems Case 00008349)

Do you have any other samples that I can test this scenarios? could you ask the respected SQA team on your end to test the above scenarios please?

Thanks
Srini G
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »

1) By this I assume you mean that you cannot click and drag on an element to move it (drag and drop). This is a known issue. The current workaround is to copy and paste or cut and paste.

2) It does appear that XMAX is responding slowly in IE9, in some cases very slowly. This is also a known issue.

3) The first part of your description here is normal behaviour when you click on the opening or closing tag for an element, all child content is selected. I assume the problem you mean is that the selection does not go away if you wait and then click a second time inside the same element. If you click outside the element the select will go away but then you usually need to use arrow keys to move back in, because double clicking inside the element causes both clicks to be passed though, and XMAX behavior in that case is to select an element or a whole word. We're not sure why IE is "eating" the single clicks.

These issues are logged in our tracking system, so our developers are aware of them. At this point we don't know if we can do anything about them though.

Issues #1 and #3 sound very much like changes to the way Microsoft manages mouse interactions and how and when IE is deciding to pass them through. The hosting application, in this case IE, typically gets first crack at any mouse or keyboard interactions and can decide what to do with them, even deciding not to pass them along at all. It is possible that we might be able to work around one or more of these by altering XMAX but it is also very possible that Microsoft will need to make some changes here.

If you have not done so already, it would be good if you could discuss this with Microsoft support. They are similar to most companies. If they do not hear any complaints about their software they tend to assume things are working fine, and if they hear from many people about a particular problem then those issues tend to rise to the top of the list.
sreenaiah

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

Derek, thanks again!!

Our product owner here took a look at your response as well. Just to communicate to our business partners, we have the following questions for your team:
IE 8 came long time back and you have released XMetal 6.x, 7.0 after that even. Do you have any plan to fix these soon in near future? If so what would be the time frame?

We have 100s of our business users PCs were upgraded to Windows 7 recently and they are targeting our web application in IE8. In pages that we are using XMetal ActiveX control, they are seeing these 3 issues. These issues started bubbling up to the higher management over here. So we feel these (at least the lagging issue) needs to be fixed sooner than later.

Is there a number or contact person for our product owner to reach you? You can mail this info to: SGundeboina@DataRecognitionCorp.com

Thanks and we appreciate your help.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: