Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: deploy toolkit customizations before first run  (Read 2904 times)
gcrews

« on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

What’s the best way to deploy toolkit customizations after the installation of XMetaL 7?
Ideally I want a script that users can just run that sets everything up and they can then start using XMetaL. The problem is with customizing the toolkit files. The %AppData%/SoftQuad folder and files do not exists until a user has run the program once and then generated an output.

The only way I see to get XMetaL fully setup is to:
  1. Install Xmetal.
  2. Open Xmetal.
  3. Run an output.
  4. Close Xmetal.
  5. Update Customizations.
  6. Now it’s ready.

Note: We also have customizations to the xep.xml file as well.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

Your installer (or script or whatever) should make changes to the installed copy of the DITA OT here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\

That is "deployed" to the users %appdata% folders when they first generate output.
See also: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,237.0.html
gcrews

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Looks like that will work. Thanks for the info. In the past I thought I had tried that but ran into some issue.
gcrews

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »

Ah, now I kind of remember why I was not customizing the common folder.  I was trying to use the same customization scripts for initial install and any future updates. 

How should customization updates to the toolkit be done after Xmetal has installed and after an output may have been generated?  I update things on a daily basis sometimes.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

The recommended way for doing this is to update the copy in C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\ and then redeploy the DITA OT:
Tools > Configure Output... > Advanced (tab) > Other output parameters:
cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version  =  1
...change the value from 1 to 2 (or higher)

Next time output is generated the user is prompted to update the DITA OT.
You can also change that value in here but that's probably more trouble than it is worth:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL\<version>\print_local.xml

However, there's real no need to do that if only one person will ever use this machine to generate output using XMetaL Author Enterprise. In that case there will only ever be one deployed copy of the DITA OT so you might find it easiest to modify the deployed copy directly. There is no difference between the two. When the DITA OT is deployed XMetaL essentially does an XCOPY so the two should be identical after deployment. However, in this case you should specifically tell your users to not use the setting above to redeploy the DITA OT because then your changes will be lost.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:11:43 PM by Derek Read » Logged
gcrews

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

Actually part of my customization update completely deletes the print_local.xml.  There are a number of changes and customization in the program files print_local.xml that need to deployed to all users from time to time.

All our writers frequently generate output and want to see their rendered content.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: