Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Webhelp printing from browser print button  (Read 2667 times)
rnv

« on: September 27, 2012, 03:11:51 AM »

Hi,

If I use the print button of the browser (IE) it only prints the webhelp page that is currently viewable in the browser. any content below the content area is not printed.

What should I do so that it prints the whole content area?

I know there is a print button in the generated webhelp as well but I need to be able to print from the browser button as well.

with best regards,
rnv
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

The fundamental design of webhelp uses <iframe> and it appears that most browsers have difficulty printing them. They seem to sort of print what is visible on the screen, cutting anything that is not visible off even if you can scroll down to see it. IE seems to cut more off than other browsers (IE 8 anyway) for some reason so that in my case 3 or 4 lines of text that I can see on screen are missing in the printed version (plus anything below that as well). It also prints a scrollbar (not too helpful, except that it hints that there is something missing).

Unfortunately, getting rid of the <iframe> would probably require a large change (perhaps a fundamental change) to the way the WebHelp is designed and functions.

This is why the "Print" button in the WebHelp output was added. It asks the browser to print the content of the <iframe> which browsers can do properly, since they treat the content of the <iframe> as a separate HTML document in that case.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:29:22 PM by Derek Read » Logged
gcrews

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »

Are you sure about that Derek? If you view the source code of the web help you currently have posted it appears to be all div’s, no iframes:  (I take that back, it appears that the iframe is generated dynamically when the page is rendered) http://na.justsystems.com/webhelp/en/xmetalauthor/enterprise/7.0/XMEE.html#Welcome%20to%20XMetaL%20Author

I noticed weird print issues with the webhelp when I looked at it a while back as well. I just tested in Firefox and it has the exact same printing issues that rnv is having. If you resize the browser to sometimes you get double scroll bars (ekkk!). While frames seem to be going the way of the wind, and I know many people hate them, non-frame methods seem to have more issues.

Whenever I code with iframe I always resize the iframe to the content size when it loads so you don’t end up with double scrollbars.

* 9-28-2012 5-09-35 PM.png (7.78 KB, 82x499 - viewed 458 times.)

* 9-28-2012 5-16-59 PM.png (88.53 KB, 927x752 - viewed 463 times.)
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us