Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetaL Author 5.1 Hangs When Building Ouptut for Map  (Read 5532 times)
severin.foreman

« on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »

When I try to generate CHM output, XMetaL Author shows the "Generating output for" dialog box, but there is no progress and the application becomes unresponsive. I have closed the application using the Widows Task Manager, but it behaves the same way when I open it again. Are there other processes besides xmetal51.exe that need to be shut down to clear up this issue?

Thanks,
Sev
ghkrause

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:43 AM »

Did you ever succeed in CHM file generation? Did you install Microsoft HTML Help library?

Gunnar H. Krause, TechDoc Manager, Nuremberg Area, Germany
severin.foreman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »

I did, but only after rebooting my workstation for an unrelated reason. I have MS HTMLHelp Workshop installed and have produced many CHMs in the past. The process seemed to hang before (or just as) XMetaL was starting the OT.

I may never experience the issue again, but I am curious about what caused it.

Best regards,
Severin
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:15:11 PM »

You might wish to check for a hung java.exe in future, and if you are sure you aren't running any on purpose you could assume it was instantiated from XMetaL Author Enterprise while generating output (and terminate it).

I think the actual cause would be pretty difficult to guess at without actually reproducing the problem (there are quite a few variables involved, XMetaL itself, the process that launches the DITA OT, which uses Java, the DITA files themselves, perhaps some random Windows or hardware quirk, etc).
xmditafan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »

Sometimes the malware/spyware/antivirus/security softwares block the cmd.exe which is launched by the java.exe behind the scenes. Check if any such softwares on your machine have marked this as process to be blocked which will in turn cause execution of OT processing.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us