Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: keyword implementation causing problems for webhelp output...  (Read 1530 times)
kenfesta

« on: September 08, 2012, 06:48:22 AM »

Hi, apologies in advance for this fishing expedition. It's a bit of an odd request, I know, but I've inherited some DITA files from a former employee, and there is a <keywords> implementation in them that I don't understand.

The overview is this:

- There is a generic topic with a set of keywords
- Sprinkled throughout the topics (several thousand instances) are conrefs to these keywords.

The explanation for these keywords is that this approach allows you to update these keywords in one central place, and there was a statement to the effect that keywords can be used by content management systems.

The immediate problem is that since we've upgraded to XMetal 7, the keywords are breaking the index and search features in webhelp (the webhelp compiles fine, and the TOC is still usable).

Does anyone know if there is a problem with this approach, or is it simply a question of the implementation? Are there other ways to implement common words that you may want to change? Are keywords necessary for CMS implementation? The documentation is heavily indexed...it would strike me that CMS would be able to consume index terms just as easily as keywords...

Here is a snippet from the source file for the keywords:
------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic id="common_keywords ">
<title>Common keywords</title>
<body>
<p><keyword id="keyword1" >keyword1< /keyword>
</p>
<p><keyword id="keyword2" >keyword2< /keyword>
</p>

Here is an example of a keyword/confref back to this file:
------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
<p>The
<keyword
conref="../common/ keywords/ common_keywords. dita#common_ keywords/ keyword1" ><?xm-replace_ text Keyword?></keyword>
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us