Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: XMetaL stops responding/slows when adding relationship table row to ditamap  (Read 2073 times)
nancyt

« on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »

XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 Service pack 1

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3

Pentium 4 2.66GHz
2GB RAM

XMetaL responds extremely slowly and stops responding when adding rows to relationship tables. The problem gets worse the more rows that are in the reltable.

A check of Windows Task Manager shows XMetaL is using up 100% of CPU capacity while it is working. Ending XMetaL task, restarting XMetaL, and restarting our systems does not solve the problem for these types of ditamaps.

We are checking files out of the DocZone DITA Publisher CMS using the latest version of our bridging software, but this problem only occurs on maps with large relationship tables.

What do you think is causing this problem?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »

Do you have a sample you can share (perhaps through XMetaL Support) or can you let me know the general size of the table (column structure and number of rows)?

In my testing inserting a new row into a three column table (the "standard" task/concept/reference type) takes about 3 seconds when the table has grown to 100 rows long. This seems to be an extreme test size for a relationship table though.

Speeds (for anything) will vary significantly depending on computer speed, and I'd consider this test machine pretty slow these days (about 3 years old maybe). The significant stat is that it's running an Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @2.4Ghz.

Perhaps there is something we can do to optimize the rendering of tables in this case but that is something our development team would need to look into. The more information you can provide the best testing we can do here.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us