Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Topic Step Numbers Are Missing  (Read 4116 times)
kwag_myers

« on: June 26, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

I'm starting a new job at a new location so I'm starting from scratch. I just downloaded the trial version of 7.0 on a Windows 7 machine. Two issues I've run into:

1. My task topic shows numbers and bullet points in the editor (tags view), but not in the webhelp output.
2. My css and footer are overwritten every time I generate output. I seem to remember this being a way of regulating the trial version, but I'm not sure about that.

I should mention that I'm using a custom OT and I'm not having any trouble with the wrap, just the frame content.

XMetaL 6 Author in Windows 7 Home Premium
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »

There's no difference between the trial and licensed version (for all features) except that if you are generating PDF using RenderX XEP RenderX puts their logo on each page and the software will not let you use it after 30 days.

1. This is likely default behavior for the DITA OT for all XHTML-based outputs although I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Note that our WebHelp is based on the "XHTML" transtype and you should see the same thing for all XHTML outputs (XHTML, CHM, Eclipse, Java, etc) unless they have been further customized. Since this is a "task" can I assume you are talking about <steps>? If so, this should be output as numbered lists in XHTML outputs using the <ol> HTML tag.

2. I'm not sure what you are doing (where files are placed, settings, etc) so not sure what is going on here. When you generate output most files will be overwritten, and in some cases files are deleted prior to output being generated by the DITA OT. The DITA OT will overwrite the files commonltr.css and commonrtl.css when it generates output. Are those the files? Or perhaps you have some additional DITA OT parameters set?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:37:07 PM by Derek Read » Logged
kwag_myers

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:33:04 AM »

Here's the source code of the web help output:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xml:lang="en-us" lang="en-us">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<meta name="copyright" content="(C) Copyright 2005"/>
<meta name="DC.rights.owner" content="(C) Copyright 2005"/>
<meta name="DC.Type" content="task"/>
<meta name="DC.Title" content="Enter Something"/>
<meta name="abstract" content="Instructions for entering Something information."/>
<meta name="description" content="Instructions for entering Something information."/>
<meta name="DC.Format" content="XHTML"/>
<meta name="DC.Identifier" content="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="commonltr.css"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="custom.css"/>
<title>Enter Something</title>
</head>
<body id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD">
  <h1 class="title topictitle1">Enter Something</h1>
  <div class="body taskbody"><p class="shortdesc">Instructions for entering Headcount information.
  </p>
<div class="section prereq p" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__prereq_ED4B998FD7FB4D9394D3ECF98F26F7BD">
<p class="p">Go to the
    <span class="keyword wintitle">Department</span> homepage for this task.
</p>
</div>
<ol class="ol steps" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__steps_7246DFB4472F4D16804C77CF538F5A17">
   <li class="li step" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__step_8861DEDD3958432D84D91798FF21ECFA">
  <span class="ph cmd">Select
  <span class="keyword option">Something</span> from the
  <span class="keyword wintitle">Something Else</span> pull-down menu.
  </span>
     A login page displays.
</li>
    <li class="li step" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__step_5AABEA2DC02D41B09EEA1DE039DC6297">
  <span class="ph cmd">Login using:
  </span>
  <ul class="ul choices" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__choices_F6FDE50E39D34A95A005C40C63151161">
<li class="li choice" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__choice_4EA851651685440C866E7629780EA1B5">Department
Username and Password.
</li>
<li class="li choice" id="task_0C09A2C30B914A47848968A85BC06DFD__choice_B8A32DE6C95B4E47BE0E7DF9C4AF4705">Outside Department Network
ID.
</li>
  </ul>
   <span class="keyword wintitle">New Something Form</span>
displays.
  </li>
</ol>

I've tried both Firefox 13 and IE 8. Also, I tried Multiple HTML output with good results. So, I think I might have broke something in my tweeking of the webhelp stylesheets and may just start over with a fresh install.

As for my css and footer files, the only parameters I have are the defaults plus the DITA_OT_BUILD_DIR. I'm using the custom.css and custom-ftr files in the webhlep_out folder for the project and have those directories set in the Edit Deliverable Type dialog box. However, as I'm typing this I just realized that in my previous project I changed the name of the footer file (that project had variations upon variations, so I had OTs and footers everywhere). Also, my previous project I used the commonrtl.css.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »

There's an <ol> in there so that should give you a numbered list in all browsers. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the CSS is overriding that?
kwag_myers

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »

I probably missed a closing tag or something. I've started over with a fresh OT and I'm systematically revising each customized file. I've just been informed that they want me to use the same CSS as the developers, which means I'll have to merge theirs with yours. So, I have to start over anyway.

I also changed the directory for the CSS and footer files to keep the files from being overwritten. This helped with the footer. Hopefully, this will resolve the CSS issue, too.

Thanks for the help. I was getting frustrated since it's only been two months since I've used XMetaL until it occurred to me that it was two years ago when I set the OTs up on my last project. Version 7 looks good so far. I'll be putting it through Kwaggie's Mire on this project. There's quite a list of deliverables on my ToDo list.

kwag_myers

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »

You can recreate the missing step numbers by following Su-Laine's instructions for Customizing WebHelp (http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,626.msg1988.html#msg1988) and specify the custom.css style sheet in the Edit Deliverable Type dialog box. If I specify either of the other two style sheets in the webhelp_out folder, the numbers and bullets display.

Also, I found that if I noted out the line
Code:
ul, ol, dl, li, dt, dd { list-style: none; }
in the /* body */ section of the custom.css, the bullets displayed, but still no step numbers. So it is definitely something in the custom.css file right out of the box.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »

Su-Laine's tutorial really should have stated which version she created it for. I have not had time to do a diff between the files she modified (or recommended modifying) and the files that shipped with 6.0. That would need to be done and then a diff would need to be done between that and what ships with 7.0. Or maybe load all three into KDiff at the same time and try to understand what's going on.

Nobody is maintaining her tutorial (and Su-Laine no longer works here). Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to look at it right now and I'll be hiking into the mountains for a while beginning tomorrow so can't even say I might try to look at it soon). At this point I'm not sure what "fixes" would look like since the tutorial is about making changes to how things are styled.

Perhaps the best thing to do (rather than trying to diff three different versions of files) would be to load the final results into FireFox with FireBug (or a different browser with a similar CSS/HTML/Script inspection tool) and then just find all the elements you don't like the look of and work backwards from there to locate the selector(s) in specific files that are affecting the element?
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us