Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: TOPLEAF: Creating a "See X" index link  (Read 5740 times)
jlm05

« on: March 08, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »

In our XMetal DITA, we occasionally include index links to direct users to another index term:

<indexterm>WebSphere Application Server 7<index-see>WAS 7</index-see></indexterm>

Ideally, the TopLeaf output should display this as:

WebSphere Application Server 7, See WAS 7

With "WAS 7" being a link to the WAS 7 index heading.

However, it's currently coming out as:

WebSphere Application Server 7WAS 7 43

With the page number the link to the page where the original index entry was set up.

How would we set up the TopLeaf stylesheet to handle this?
gjn2066

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »

Could you send the stylesheet and a (small) source fragment which illustrates this. It can certainly be done, but I'd need to see the current state of the mappings.
gjn2066

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

Should have a response shortly, just working on the XMetaL 7 upgrade to the TopLeaf plugin.
gjn2066

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »

To correct this problem, I'm incorporating full <index-see> and <index-see-also> support in the XMetaL 7.0 version of the DITAmap stylesheet.

I will email instructions for a temporary workaround to keep you going in the meantime.

Geoff
jlm05

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »

We just completed the upgrade to XMetaL 7 and the new TopLeaf plugin, so I'm revisiting this. I saw the section in the guide about the see and see also entries for indexes, but can't quite figure out exactly what I need to do.

Our stylesheets currently have tags for <index-see> and <index-see-also> that simply take the content of the tags and put it into parentheses. This was our workaround for version 6.

<perl-call sub="extract_terms" copy="content"/>
 (See <content/>)

<perl-call sub="extract_terms" copy="content"/>
 (See also <content/>)

The guide indicates to add parameters to the index-sort element under $document, then refers to adding content for those levels, and also refers to tl:ndx-see and tl:ndex-seealso, but doesn't provide much information otherwise on how to configure it.

I'm just confused as to exactly what content I need to put where in order to get the desired effect.

Thanks,

Janice
tonys
JustSystems Partner

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »

The usual way of handling see and see-also is by allocating a particular index level to each.

The recommendation is to use 8 for see and 9 for see-also. You'll need to change the index-see and index-see-also mappings to generate index items for these levels. Then you can change the index-sort command to use these levels and generate tl:ndx-see and tl:ndx_seealso elements. See "Contents and Index generation" in the User Guide for more information.
jlm05

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »

The guide does not provide enough information. I took an initial stab at it, but the see links are still showing up as plain text - not linked to the other index entry and still displaying a page number.

I added the sort levels to the $document tag:
<index-sort see-level="8" seealso-level="9"/>

I updated index-see and index-see-also to map to index levels 8 and 9 (checkbox on the Content tab).

I added tl:ndx8 and tl:ndx9, but did not do any other configuration for them.

I also didn't add tl:ndx-see and tl:ndx-see-also. I'm guessing they need to be added, but it's unclear what configuration they need to have.

I did not change the custom content for index-see and index-see-also - so it's still grabbing the content and adding the See and See also. I can't tell from the documentation where the actual entry text is supposed to be located and where the "See" and "See also" are supposed to be.

Janice

tonys
JustSystems Partner

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

Have a look at the generated index file - it's in a folder called "generated" under the partition folder.

If the stylesheet is configured correctly you would expect to see something like this for your data:

Code:
<tl:ndx1><tl:ndxline>
  <tl:title>WebSphere Application Server 7 </tl:title>
  </tl:ndxline>

<tl:ndx-see><tl:ndxline>
  <tl:title>WAS 7 </tl:title>
  </tl:ndxline>
</tl:ndx-see>
</tl:ndx1>

If you're seeing a page number the index sorter doesn't know that level 8 is a "see" entry. Looking at what is actually in the index file will probably point you in the right direction.

Getting the format you want is probably just a matter of generating the ", See" text in the tl:ndx-see mapping.
jlm05

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »

Still can't get it to work. I'm just having trouble figuring out everything I need to configure, and what the configuration needs to be:

index-see and index-see-also - What else do I need to do besides getting the content (as I do for indexterm) and mapping them to level 8 and 9 of the index?

tl:ndx8 and tl:ndx9 - Do I have to add anything special here? Any settings or Custom tab content?

tl:ndx-see and tl:ndx-see-also - What exactly is the configuration? What needs to go on the Custom tab (other than the words See and See also) to get the content from the original index-see and index-see-also tags to display?

I added tl:ndx-see and tl:ndx-see-also tags, with See and See also on the Custom tab, but the one see entry I havedoes not display at all, and the entry in index.xml is not right at all.

Can you provide the additional configuration details so I can try again?

Thanks,

Janice
tonys
JustSystems Partner

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

See my email response.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us