Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Spell checker in XMetal does not call attention to joined words with markup  (Read 3006 times)
amy.kidd

« on: June 01, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »

I am using XMetaL Author Enterprise 5.5 on Windows 7.

I have noticed the spell checker in XMetal does not call attention to joined words when one word is in a tag, and the other is not.

The<sometag>word</sometag>

In the output, I see Theword and that is incorrect.

However, there are times when we DO want words to be joined like that, but in my experience, this is usually a problem and I have to catch this once the document is published.

For example, words such as product names might be marked up like this and that is OK:
Some<it>FANTASTIC</it>brand

Are there any settings to force the spell checker to notice joined words?
Does XMetaL 7.0 call attention to words joined like this?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »

No, such a feature does not exist in the software (as you describe it).

I think this would be a complex problem to resolve as a general feature (one that works for all schema). For the spell checker (or some other feature) to know when it is OK and when it is not might require knowledge of the schema (ie: which two elements or child elements should it do this for), the language (English, French, German, etc), specific business rules (including perhaps specific types of technical lingo), and maybe even a particular author's writing style. That isn't to say that it would be impossible, but I think it definitely would be a difficult problem to solve if we were to look into implementing something like this.

There are some companies that have add-ons for XMetaL Author to aid with writing. I'm not sure if they would help but you might check into it. These are primarily advertised as helping to create "simplified English". Not exactly what you are looking for but perhaps worth looking into just in case.

Other strategies might be employed however, and that might include settings specific to a schema that always insert a space before, after, or inside (start and end) the content of particular elements. If you can come up with a list of such rules then that can be coded into the "pretty printing" rules for the schema you are using. This cannot be made selective based on written content however, this particular feature works based on element names.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:51:36 AM by Derek Read » Logged
amy.kidd

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »

Thank you for responding and explaining.

My HTML editor would operate this way, so I anticipated the XML editor to check spelling and catch missing spaces. I understand the complexity of solving the problem in a general way for XML, though.

Using a 3rd party tool to check spelling again does help, but unfortunately, it adds additional work. I was just hoping to not have to duplicate the spell checking.

In the future it would be nice to see a setting in spellchecker rules to select. For example, "Check for omitted spaces between text and marup." or "Check for joined words including markup."

Thanks. 

* example_spellchecker.png (48.53 KB, 578x656 - viewed 480 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

HTML is simpler (in that there are a fixed number of elements) but not necessarily straightforward either I don't think. I'd be interested to know which editor you were using just to have a look and see what it did.

If you have not considered the prettying printing settings I suggested that is still something to look into. Depending on your schema this might make sense or it might not. These settings are controlled in the CTM file used by your XMetaL customization, so you would likely want to ask the person that created the customization for your schema to do that work. Scripting could also help here, but again, that would probably need to be specifically coded for your particular schema by the people that created your customization.
amy.kidd

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »

I used Dreamweaver CS3's spell checker. As I think more about this, I believe this spellchecker is only checking text in the 'preview' window. It appears this behavior is similar to what you have mentioned about pretty printing. Thank you again for your earlier suggestion about looking into the settings in the CTM file.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: