Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Show element contents in Content Reference Dialog (XM 7)  (Read 3460 times)
Wim Hooghwinkel - iDTP

« on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »

Hi,

How can I get the Content Reference Dialog display the contents of the elements instead of displaying the ID's? For top level elements the title can be displayed, but we use it for conreffing to software uicontrol elements - that use machine generated ID's. There are hundreds so we'd like to be able to find the correct uicontrol element without clicking all the ID's manually.

thanks,

Wim Hooghwinkel
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:23:03 AM by Wim Hooghwinkel - iDTP » Logged

W
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

If I understand correctly, you would like the list itself to show the "content" rather than the id value. By that do you mean the text it contains or all of the XML?

In either case, this is not currently possible. The system is designed to show id as that is the only thing consistent across all elements in DITA (some things contain text, some do not). It sounds like an interesting thing for us to look into for a future release. I'm not sure how it would work exactly, but perhaps you could submit a feature request to XMetaL Support detailing exactly how you feel it should function. Then if it is possible to do it we might consider this (as an additional feature) for a future release.

In the meantime, perhaps you might wish to try changing the @id values to something more easily recognized. That in itself would be extra work, so I could see not wanting to do this if there are a lot of them to change.
Wim Hooghwinkel - iDTP

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »

Hi Derek,

yes, I'd like the list to show the "content" rather then the id value. Actually it surprises me (and it's a bit disappointing) that this isn't a standard feature. The contents of <title> can be shown, isn't that configurable? We don't want all elements to show. In this case it only concerns <uicontrol> and <wintitle> elements.

Wim

W
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »

<title> is displayed because we have specific code in place to do that, but it isn't configurable.

This might be possible to do as part of some services work if you need the feature right away.

I've logged a feature request that asks that we allow clients to configure this for arbitrary elements so they display in a similar way to what we do for <title>.

As you know, <title> can contain children (phrase-level elements). The text we show here is a concatenation of all text nodes in the <title> including child elements and in most cases the extracted text will still be somewhat understandable.

I'm not sure how nicely that will work for other elements. It will possibly depend on the element and how you use it. The simplest case would be to do the same type of concatenation and hope that gives you enough context. I can't say that's how such a feature will end up being coded, but that's the request I've put in.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:58:06 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: