Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Create Registration Form  (Read 4031 times)
karthic2861

« on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »

Hi All,

I am using Xmetal Author Can We Create A registration form with Xmetal using  XFT .

Please guide me

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:12:58 AM by karthic2861 » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »

There is another option and that is to create your "form" as an EXE or DLL using whatever tool and language you wish (Visual Basic or C++ for example). You might also create a Windows "HTA". Or you could use Java or some other runtime language that is not native to Windows (all your users will need to have the runtime installed in this case). You can then launch it from XMetaL Author as a separate process (how that is done depends on what you build). Keep in mind that in order to communicate any information back to XMetaL Author your "form" will need to instantiate XMetaL Author as a COM server.

It is a lot more work to coordinate all these things than it is to use XFT (COM reference counting in particular is something you need to watch out for), so I would generally not recommend it unless there is some good reason. You might have already built something you wish to reuse, or might feel it is easier to modify existing code, etc. Or perhaps you wish to hire someone that's a wizard at creating VB COM controls, Java applications, etc.
karthic2861

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:41 AM »

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the reply,

I have xml file which this xml file can we able to create the form Xmetal Form Layout Tool is is possible to incorporate xml into Xmetal form layout tool.

Please guide me

Thanks
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »

XFT is a binary format that can only be created using the editor that comes with XMetaL Developer.

I think you should read the XMetaL Developer Customization Guide. There is a section in there that discusses the creation of XFT and usage of the XMetaL Forms Layout Editor (in some versions this was also called the XMetaL Forms Toolkit - hence XFT) and how to display an XFT as a modal dialog or as an "embedded form". If you do not have XMetaL Developer then you cannot create XFT.

See: http://na.justsystems.com/webhelp/en/xmetaldeveloper/cg/6.0/cg.html#Create%20a%20form
karthic2861

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:45:41 AM »

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any sample files which is binding with XML.

It will be more help full.

Thanks
M
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »

Yes. The best one you can examine is the Journalist sample. It is installed with both XMetaL Author Enterprise and Essential. It uses several forms, as both embedded forms and modal dialogs.

1. Launch XMetaL Author (Enterprise or Essential).
2. File > New > Journalist (tab) > Article (template)
3. OK

Or open one of the samples marked "(Journalist)" from the Help > Samples menu.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:51:16 AM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us