Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Finding Word Count, ID Validator function  (Read 2536 times)
Bradley Shoebottom

« on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

I had difficulty intutively finding the Word Count and ID Validator in XMetal Author Enterprise 7.0 (7.0.0.103). I had to use the help file to figure out these two feauter were hidden under Tool > Run Cross File Operation. They should be one level up under Tools.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:06:29 AM by Bradley Shoebottom » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

We may add dedicated menu or toolbar items for some of these operations if they seem to be popular. So thank you for this feedback.

The "Run Cross File Operation" is actually part of a new framework for hosting operations to be performed on multiple files. This is extensible (however, how to add new operations has not yet been documented as we may tweak this feature a little more in the future). We plan to add more operations into the product as clients request them, possibly post them on the forum for download as we think of them, or to allow partners to create and distribute them.

Our feeling with the current UI is that when you think "I need to do something on multiple files" you would gravitate to this central location. But we welcome feedback on this as it is best to make changes to new features when they are still new, before people get too accustomed to them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:20:40 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

So why is it on the Tools menu?

The reason Run Cross-File Operation is listed in the same menu grouping as Macros is that each "operation" is essentially a macro. The main difference between the two is that the "cross files" framework allows each operation (which is basically a macro) to run on multiple files without the need to build that additional code (which is actually very complex) into the macro itself.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: